OC Fest of Ales

Check for upcoming competitions here or just discuss results, entries and share your triumphs and tragedies!

Moderator: Post Moderators

lexuschris

Re: OC Fest of Ales

Post by lexuschris »

Congrats everyone!! Was great to see many Brewcommuners at the fest and collecting awards too! Well done!
:cheers:

I realized that my 1st place win in category 26- Other Mead, was the only award givin ... so I guess I was the only mead entered. Will be interesting to see what the score sheet comments are anyways.

I also noticed that the link shows several 2nd-place category awards without a 1st place award? Anyone know what that is about?

It was a fun day with lots of tasty treats!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
SamIam

Post by SamIam »

Not too bad, out of 50 awards Brewcommune members took 8. Congrates to all.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"
~Frank Sinatra
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

lexuschris wrote: I realized that my 1st place win in category 26- Other Mead, was the only award givin ... so I guess I was the only mead entered. Will be interesting to see what the score sheet comments are anyways.
Not necessarily ...
lexuschris wrote: I also noticed that the link shows several 2nd-place category awards without a 1st place award? Anyone know what that is about?
Some competitions/judges won't give 2nd/3rd place if they don't think the other beers in the flight were good enough to get a medal. I've also seen them skip 1st place and just award 2nd/3rd because no beer was "good enough" to be a 1st place beer. I think this is BS. You're judging the beers relative to the other beers in the flight, not to some absolute standard. The best three beers should get 1, 2, 3.
nevery

Post by nevery »

brahn wrote:The best three beers should get 1, 2, 3.
+1,000,000

(I think that's the definition of "beer-snobbery," which only a few people know is Latin for "douchebaggery." After all, you're not competing against the world and all it's history, lol.)

Last Notable: BullMac's Citra's Last Stand, Fathead Head Hunter, Theakston Old Peculiar, Pliny the Elder! (Courtesy of bwarbiany), Bruery White Chocolate

Anticipating:

bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

nevery wrote:
brahn wrote:The best three beers should get 1, 2, 3.
+1,000,000

(I think that's the definition of "beer-snobbery," which only a few people know is Latin for "douchebaggery." After all, you're not competing against the world and all it's history, lol.)
Yeah, like the year I won 1st place in the OC Fair's fruit beer category with a beer that scored a 21!
Brad
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Congrats gents!
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Congrats to the winners. Hopefully they do this again next year and we can get some more participation.

Regarding the first through third place beers and skipping places: That decision is entirely up to the competition organizer. Like Brent said, I have seen it done both ways. I don't want to get into a philosophical debate about this but I don't think any beer that scores under a 21 should be eligible for an award (if the judges are BJCP certified and following the scoring guidelines). Personally, I would have a hard time giving a beer that scored a 21-29 a first place award. That's just a personal philosophy since I am against rewarding mediocrity.
After all, you're not competing against the world and all it's history, lol.
Well, you kind of are. That's why there are well established beer styles and guidelines and the beers are scored against those ideals. Obviously, there is some subjectivity here since the judges are only human. But a trained, certified, and experienced BJCP judge will almost always come up with a score that is well within the range of scores given by other similarly qualified judges on the same beer.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
hjw

Post by hjw »

The organizer did want to award placings if at all possible but with only 150 entries there were some cats. with so few entrants there were some beers that were off by a ways.
nevery

Post by nevery »

I guess that does make sense, Brad. I still think Donald's old ale is was worthy of first, but I'm not trained or anything.

Last Notable: BullMac's Citra's Last Stand, Fathead Head Hunter, Theakston Old Peculiar, Pliny the Elder! (Courtesy of bwarbiany), Bruery White Chocolate

Anticipating: