Pacific Brewers Cup

Check for upcoming competitions here or just discuss results, entries and share your triumphs and tragedies!

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Pacific Brewers Cup

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Next up is the Pacific Brewers Cup on September 25. This usually a very well run competition with great prizes and good judges. I don't think I will be able to judge this year since it looks like I may be teaching on Saturdays starting in September, but I am definitely going to enter something.

$6 for each entry and three bottles are required. Drop off points include Stein Fillers, O'Shea's, and MoreBeer in Riverside.
The Long Beach Homebrewers in conjunction with Strand Brewers and Pacific Gravity will be hosting the 14th annual Pacific Brewers Cup.

This year the competition will be held at Rock Bottom Brewery in Long Beach, CA on September 25, 2010. Registration will begin on August 12 and run through September 12, 2010. The drop off period will be between September 1 to September 12, 2010.

For drop off locations, official rules, and regulations please go to:

http://www.pacificbrewerscup.com/
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
rex

Re: Pacific Brewers Cup

Post by rex »

Hi Guys - first post, just stumbled across this site. I've been home brewing in Irvine since last October. So far I have about 5 extract batches and now 6 all grain batches under my belt and was thinking about entering this competition.

Do you have to be present at the judging? If not, how do you get your results?
-Dave
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Rex,

Welcome!

Entering competitions is always a good way to obtain feedback on your beer.

Typically the dropoff for most competitions is a window of a few weeks, usually closing about a week before the actual competition. The judging for most competitions are closed events, and competitors are then sent their score sheets & ribbons/medals if applicable via mail.
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Welcome to the forum.

In addition to what has already been stated, many competitions post the results on the web. The real value, though, is in the scoresheets and the feedback from the judges that you will get in the mail within a few weeks of the competition.
rex

Post by rex »

Thanks guys. My main reason for entering is to get some objective feedback on my beers. I love most of what I brew, but of course I'm a little biased :wink:
-Dave
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

rex wrote:Thanks guys. My main reason for entering is to get some objective feedback on my beers. I love most of what I brew, but of course I'm a little biased :wink:
Welcome.

In addition to competition, come to one of the club meetings. There are always members around that will try to give you an objective opinion. Several of our members are BJCP judges.
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

Welcome.

If your beer is a Weizen or Weissbier - BJCP Category 15A, you should enter it into the AHP August Beer Style of the month competition. You'll get a scoresheet back with lots of good comments.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
rex

Post by rex »

Hey guys, another noob question - when I submit my entry bottles into a competition, does it matter if they are cold or warm?

I've noticed that after initial bottle conditioning my beer tastes a lot better if it's been in the fridge for about a week, but I would assume that contest entries aren't chilled until just before competition so I wouldn't want to refrigerate then bring back to room temp.

Should my entries just be fully bottle conditioned beers that have never been refrigerated?
-Dave
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

Some places keep them chilled the whole time, others don't. Just ask before submitting.

Also, AHP competition has been opened up to ALL categories. link http://www.brewcommune.com/forum/viewto ... f=7&t=1740
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

rex wrote:I wouldn't want to refrigerate then bring back to room temp.
Why not? Won't hurt a thing.
Brad
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

bwarbiany wrote:
rex wrote:I wouldn't want to refrigerate then bring back to room temp.
Why not? Won't hurt a thing.
+1. Now, you don't want to chill them, age them in the trunk of your car for a week, then chill and repeat. BUt cold to room and back won't bother them a bit.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Wow, just realized that the deadline is this weekend! Yikes! Gotta bottle up my Weizenbock and get my ales ready to go! :roll:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

+1 ... today / tomorrow I have a lot of beer related tasks and I'll try to add bottling to that list. Meanwhile, brewing today!

Dan
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I cleaned some bottles last night. I have a keg full of sanitizer. Now all I need is the time to bottle. I also need to brew today or tomorrow. My barleywine is still sitting in the fermenter as well and I need to keg that.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

BrewMasterBrad wrote: My barleywine is still sitting in the fermenter as well and I need to keg that.
Cleaning kegs right now to get mine out of the fermenter. Should I send some to Pac Cup? :D