Category selection

Check for upcoming competitions here or just discuss results, entries and share your triumphs and tragedies!

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Category selection

Post by bwarbiany »

I've got one beer brewed, and another that I'll brew in the next few weeks, that both seem to fit best in 16e (Belgian Specialty). Take a look at the below and let me know if either fits somewhere else better, as I can't submit two 16e's to any comps...

Beer 1: Belgian Light Ale
4.5% ABV, 11 IBU
Belgian Pilsner base, ~10% Vienna, ~10% Caravienne, lightly hopped with Saaz
WLP550
I call it my "Belgian session beer"

Beer 2: Belgian IPA
~6.5% ABV, 60-70 IBU
Pale Malt, ~10% Crystal 20L, ~10% Vienna, hopped & dry-hopped w/ Columbus
Attenuative Belgian yeast

Beer 1 is bottled but I've only tasted the hydrometer sample, and Beer 2 isn't yet brewed, so I can't choose one or another right now based on which one is better. I think Beer 2 will fare better in competition (judges facing palate fatigue may not even taste Beer 1), but I'd prefer to submit both if possible.

What do you guys think?
Brad
jward

Re: Category selection

Post by jward »

bwarbiany wrote:What do you guys think?
I don't think of much of Belgian style beer which is why I didn't chime in earlier. :roll:
I will say that beers brewed to the higher end of gravity and IBUs for any style in question seem to do better in competition. I hope that helps.
oc eric

Re: Category selection

Post by oc eric »

jward wrote:
bwarbiany wrote:What do you guys think?
I don't think of much of Belgian style beer which is why I didn't chime in earlier. :roll:
I will say that beers brewed to the higher end of gravity and IBUs for any style in question seem to do better in competition. I hope that helps.
+1
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway