Kegging, but need bottles for comp.

Check for upcoming competitions here or just discuss results, entries and share your triumphs and tragedies!

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

Re: Kegging, but need bottles for comp.

Post by backyard brewer »

With the Beer Gun, you just give it a quick hit of CO2 on top. You really don't need to flush the bottles or top them off with CO2. The exception would be beers you plan to age, then I feel you need to. But it also doesn't hurt anything to do it and the Beer Gun is designed to, so why not..

I believe commercial breweries force the bottle to foam slightly and cap on foam to displace any air.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Here is the recommended procedure for the BeerGun directly from John Blichmann: Flush the bottle with CO2 for a second or two. Pull the liquid trigger as quickly as possible to prevent causing turbulence and forcing CO2 out of the carbonated beer, this will reduce foaming as you fill the bottle. After the bottle is full and you remove the wand, if you have foam, you can just cap on foam. If there is no foam, just give a quick shot of CO2 on top and cap immediately.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
jward

Post by jward »

Pat posted some information from commercial literature about the importance of CO2 flushing some time ago. That stuff may still be around. If you don't put at least some CO2 in the bottle you may get O2 exposure during the fill.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

lexuschris wrote:I suppose you could always raise the filling tube up as you fill, so that when you are nearly out of headspace, you are displacing almost no volume.
I'm pretty sure that the instructions with the filler state this.

Ask Tyler about bottle flushing some time. You'll definitely get an opinion.
jward

Post by jward »

maltbarley wrote:Ask Tyler about bottle flushing some time. You'll definitely get an opinion.
The Bruery certainly doesn't spare the CO2.