OC Fair

Check for upcoming competitions here or just discuss results, entries and share your triumphs and tragedies!

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: OC Fair

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

jward wrote:
bwarbiany wrote:Interestingly, it looks like 3 of the 4 are questionable on the style, John with his American Red...
This is a hopped edition of the Red so it may do OK.
With actual hops???
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
jward

Post by jward »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:
jward wrote:
bwarbiany wrote:Interestingly, it looks like 3 of the 4 are questionable on the style, John with his American Red...
This is a hopped edition of the Red so it may do OK.
With actual hops???
Virtual hops planted by the Easter bunny.
BARL Brewing

Post by BARL Brewing »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:As a judge, I often run into beers that are excellent but that are entered into the wrong category. Hopefully, you will get some good judges so that you can get some good feedback even if you don't score well in the category.
I'll be Shocked if I score well at all, I wasn't going to enter but I just wanted to see what happened and get back some feedback, hopefully something helpful as you said.

as for
bwarbiany wrote:what is this beer "intended" to be?
The short version of the story is: I got a recipe off the internet, mostly an ingredient list, brewed it using all my experience (4th batch extract) and there you go. As for the style decision it came down to what my itouch brew pal app said it was closest too (sweet stout) and where i thought it fit best (Robust Porter)
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

BARL Brewing wrote:
bwarbiany wrote:what is this beer "intended" to be?
The short version of the story is: I got a recipe off the internet, mostly an ingredient list, brewed it using all my experience (4th batch extract) and there you go. As for the style decision it came down to what my itouch brew pal app said it was closest too (sweet stout) and where i thought it fit best (Robust Porter)
Cool. If you find that you like the sweet stout style, feel free to use my recipe when you make the switch to all-grain (I think the grain bill is too complex for extract)...
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I think the grain bill is too complex for extract
Your mom's too complex for extract. :shock:

Sorry couldn't help it. Maybe it's the Bigfoot 2010 talking.

Wasn't this thread about the OC Fair?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
BARL Brewing

Post by BARL Brewing »

When and how do we find out our scores?
Do we just wait for our score sheets to be mailed back to us?
Brian
jward

Post by jward »

Yes, pretty much you wait. They put out a list of winners. They send tickets and info for the reception (aka party). Someday you get your score sheets and any ribbons etc.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

It usually works like this:

If you got a 1st, you'll get a phone call before the Fair opens inviting you to the event and asking to bring a 6-pack to share
If placed in your categories, then you'll see you beer in the display case on opening day of the Fair.
Score sheets and ribbons are mailed after the close of the fair
jward

Post by jward »

Has anyone been contacted by the OC Fair? I got an email saying You have placed first in Division 624 Class C of the beer competition..... :mrgreen: Nothing about my other entries. It seemed like they didn't say much before the Fair about red and white ribbon winners. So, there may be hope. Yesterday I couldn't find any results posted for this year.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

jward wrote:Has anyone been contacted by the OC Fair? I got an email saying You have placed first in Division 624 Class C of the beer competition..... :mrgreen: Nothing about my other entries. It seemed like they didn't say much before the Fair about red and white ribbon winners. So, there may be hope. Yesterday I couldn't find any results posted for this year.
Well, congrats! I do believe they only contact first place winners in advance, as those first-place winners are the ones who are asked to bring beer for the July 24 event.

I can only assume their starting from the upper categories first, b/c I haven't heard anything about my 10A or 16E beers :oops:
Brad
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

:cheers:
Cheers dude!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
BARL Brewing

Post by BARL Brewing »

Im totally bummed, i just got my invite in the mail for the reception and its on the sat. in july im out of town....
:x
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

BARL Brewing wrote:Im totally bummed, i just got my invite in the mail for the reception and its on the sat. in july im out of town....
:x
Don't feel bad, I'll be working :evil:
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

jward wrote:Has anyone been contacted by the OC Fair? I got an email saying You have placed first in Division 624 Class C of the beer competition..... :mrgreen: Nothing about my other entries. It seemed like they didn't say much before the Fair about red and white ribbon winners. So, there may be hope. Yesterday I couldn't find any results posted for this year.
Congratulations man! Well done!
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!