OC Fair

Check for upcoming competitions here or just discuss results, entries and share your triumphs and tragedies!

Moderator: Post Moderators

BARL Brewing

Re: OC Fair

Post by BARL Brewing »

Just was at the fair grounds today. I was setting up, my work has a booth there. I snuck into the courtyard area and they had the winning beers on display. I only took a brief look but i did see one club members name on a second place beer. :wink: nick work. Since the fair opens on Friday I wont spill the beans yet. I’ll be back there early tomorrow, if you want to know if you placed let me know what you entered and ill try to check.
Brian
Haemon

Post by Haemon »

eagerly awaiting results!
BARL Brewing

Post by BARL Brewing »

Congrats to jward:
Places first with his mead and a third place with his Kolsch
Nice Work :cheers:
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Congrats John! :happybeer:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

bwarbiany wrote:
jward wrote:Has anyone been contacted by the OC Fair? I got an email saying You have placed first in Division 624 Class C of the beer competition..... :mrgreen: Nothing about my other entries. It seemed like they didn't say much before the Fair about red and white ribbon winners. So, there may be hope. Yesterday I couldn't find any results posted for this year.
Well, congrats! I do believe they only contact first place winners in advance, as those first-place winners are the ones who are asked to bring beer for the July 24 event.

I can only assume their starting from the upper categories first, b/c I haven't heard anything about my 10A or 16E beers :oops:
I was rushing by the case and didn't catch the style, but congrats: your name was on a red ribbon.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

backyard brewer wrote:
bwarbiany wrote:
jward wrote:Has anyone been contacted by the OC Fair? I got an email saying You have placed first in Division 624 Class C of the beer competition..... :mrgreen: Nothing about my other entries. It seemed like they didn't say much before the Fair about red and white ribbon winners. So, there may be hope. Yesterday I couldn't find any results posted for this year.
Well, congrats! I do believe they only contact first place winners in advance, as those first-place winners are the ones who are asked to bring beer for the July 24 event.

I can only assume their starting from the upper categories first, b/c I haven't heard anything about my 10A or 16E beers :oops:
I was rushing by the case and didn't catch the style, but congrats: your name was on a red ribbon.
Thanks! So I didn't get skunked this year :-)
Brad
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

2nd Place in American Ale category (10) for my RyePA.

Full results here:

http://www.ocfair.com/competitions/pdf/ ... esults.pdf

It was nice to see John (jward) and Don (backhousebrew), and of course Lyn, at the results party. I was surprised to see such a small brewcommune contingent, though... Hope we can represent a little better next year.
Brad
BARL Brewing

Post by BARL Brewing »

BARL Brewing wrote:I entered 2 beers in two different categories each, it's a reach but I figured what the heck.
American Amber Ale / American IPA
Robust Porter / Sweet Stout
I know......It will be interesting to see these sheets.
Brian
Got my score sheets back today and It wasn’t too bad.....

Beer #1
Robust Porter: 30,30,30,31 :happybeer:
and
Sweet Stout: 23,27,28

Beer #2
American Amber Ale: 30,29,27 :happybeer:
and
American IPA:23,20,20 - Ouch

Not to bad I suppose being they were extract and are my 3rd and 4th batches respectively.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Not too bad. IME, to compete in the APA category, you need to enter an IPA and to compete in the IPA category, you need to enter a DIPA (by the numbers at least).
jward

Post by jward »

backyard brewer wrote:Not too bad. IME, to compete in the APA category, you need to enter an IPA and to compete in the IPA category, you need to enter a DIPA (by the numbers at least).
Yup, my red ale got panned as a dopplebock,.
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

Received my score sheets
Great feedback from the judges

Category 606
Robustly Blonde Ale did better than I expected
35, 38, 35, 40

Category 608
Pale Ale... not as well
22, 21, 25
point loss was mainly from "not to style"