SA Longshot - Category 23

Check for upcoming competitions here or just discuss results, entries and share your triumphs and tragedies!

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

SA Longshot - Category 23

Post by bwarbiany »

Longshot is coming up (Entries due by May 28, I think).

They're going a different route this year. There are no style categories. Everything is Category 23.

I've got a few options for this, so I wanted to run it by the group and see which you think is more suited for a Cat 23.

1) Rye Pale Ale - This is a basic Pale Ale with about 20% Rye. Only deviation from style is the Rye, and that's not *that* far of a deviation from 10A.
2) Belgian IPA - Do my standard IPA recipe (6.5%, 10% vienna/10% crystal 20L, 1 lb of Columbus per half barrel), but with Belgian yeast.
3) Lighthouse Belgian Ale - A sort of Belgian "single" -- been entered in 16E in the past. It's about a 4.5% light-colored easy-drinking session ale with Belgian yeast and just enough fruitiness and esters to appeal to the craft beer drinker. Big hit with the ladies too.

I think #3 might be my best option (and it's always good to brew as we come into the hot summer months), but I always worry in comps that a 4.5% session ale will get killed by judges who have palate fatigue in a crazy Category 23 type environment.

Thoughts?
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Re: SA Longshot - Category 23

Post by brahn »

I think #3 sounds great. You may run into a bias towards bigger beer, where your IPA might fare better. I prefer to brew what I like and not worry about the judges.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I'm brewing #1 tomorrow, and will probably follow it up with #3 since I can turn it around in a week or so...
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Enter all three. You can enter up to three beers, so why not?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:Enter all three. You can enter up to three beers, so why not?
Timing. Not sure I'll be able to get all three done by then.
Brad
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Entries are due before the 28th, so if you are planning to get stuff bottled & mailed in ... here is your reminder! :D

http://www.samueladams.com/promotions/L ... rules.aspx

--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Got my score sheets back.

Light Belgian got a 27 from one judge and a 30 from the other. Rye Pale got a 32 from one judge, 33 from the other.

Each beer had one of the judges AHA national, which was nice. I could definitely tell from the quality of the comments.

Anyone else enter?
Brad