Mazer Cup International 2010 - Mead Only Competition

Check for upcoming competitions here or just discuss results, entries and share your triumphs and tragedies!

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Re: Mazer Cup International 2010 - Mead Only Competition

Post by brahn »

I bet we could get that number up next year if we have an Oskaar fueled Brewcommune Mead Making Day sometime after this year's Mazer Cup. :)
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

I'd love to do a group meadmaking day. Color me there! It would be great to have the Brewcommuners swarm the Mazer Cup International 2011 with entries!
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
jward

Post by jward »

Oskaar wrote:I'd love to do a group meadmaking day. Color me there! It would be great to have the Brewcommuners swarm the Mazer Cup International 2011 with entries!
If we don't have an April brew day I'm glad to host one. Concentrating on mead is OK. We can try to get 2 batches of wort out of my system to split up/share. Other systems welcome.
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

Oskaar wrote:I'd love to do a group meadmaking day. Color me there! It would be great to have the Brewcommuners swarm the Mazer Cup International 2011 with entries!
Count me in for this! :cheers:
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Results are in. I didn't win, and I don't see an familiar names in there.

http://mazercup.com/mcih_2010_results.htm
Kevin
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

I've given Kevin and John their scores, and they both did very well. Both of their meads made it to the medal round and were in pretty hot contention for those top spots.

We had a great event this year with over 450 entries, and about 400 actual entries to judge. Attrition due to no-shows, non-shipped, broken in entry, disqualifications, duplicate electronic entries and erroneous entries account for the delta in numbers.

Our paired tasting was a complete success as we sold all 100 of our tickets and filled the event venue. We saw some new faces and some that we hadn't seen in a while. We actually had one person post up on Craigslist.com for tickets. Happily she was able to purchase one and was at the event. We have a picture of the happy couple on our Facebook Page

The walk-away winner was the Pasieka Maciej Jaros Koronny (A Polish dwojniak mead produced in equal parts of water and water, along with various herbs typically used in Polish mead) paired with the Swiss dark-chocolate covered, apple-wood smoked bacon. Along with the paired tasting we had our honey sponsor "The Bee-Folks" ship out about 20 different types of honey for sampling during the tasting. The Butterbean, Meadowfoam and Mint honey were the stand out favorites.

Both of the competitions were conducted by the numbers and ran pretty much flawlessly. We did six flights of judging on Thursday evening in order to get a jump on the Judging Saturday 03/27/2010 for the home competition which had well over 200 actual meads to judge.

We also had an amazing judging panel including Paul Gatza and Julia Herz from the BA, along with a pretty damned impressive array of professionals including meadmakers from Poland, Germany, Canada, Slovakia, Alaska, Maine, Ohio, Colorado, New Mexico and an importer from Sweden. We also had non-professional judges from all over the USA including New York, Florida, North Carolina, Nebraska, California, Colorado, Washington and Texas.

The event was a total success on all fronts and our staff of volunteers and event directors performed superbly. Our organization has to grow again so I'll be re-organizing both the structure and personnel placement in order to deal with the anticipated growth next year. At this year's event we had approximately 90 people working to make this event happen not-including hotel and venue staff. It's quite a number of people to manage but we did a pretty phenomenal job if you ask me.

We'll be lifting the bottle restrictions and going to a completely blind format for the home competition to bring it into alignment with the commercial competition. All entries are assigned numbers, bottles inspected and then poured into tasting glasses with a number tag hung on the stem for judging identification.

Well that's the breakdown if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Oskaar
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Very cool Oskaar, I'm glad the event went so well. I have to say that I think anything paired with Swiss dark-chocolate covered, apple-wood smoked bacon seems to have an unfair advantage though. :)
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

brahn wrote:Very cool Oskaar, I'm glad the event went so well. I have to say that I think anything paired with Swiss dark-chocolate covered, apple-wood smoked bacon seems to have an unfair advantage though. :)
Totally true dude! Although my vote had to go to the cream cheese stuffed figs wrapped in prosciutto pairing.

So, I totally neglected to mention the biggest news about the Mazer Cup International home meadmaker competition results.

Our Best of Show mead was made by a Polish home meadmaker. It was a metheglin with Black Elder Flower and was pretty freaking outstanding! So the gloves are off, we have a loud and clear signal to North America that the international home meadmakers are up to the challenge!

Cheers,

Oskaar