Looking for - Suntory Premium Malts

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

JonGoku

Looking for - Suntory Premium Malts

Post by JonGoku »

Is anyone familure with the Japanese beer from Suntory called "Suntory Premium Malts"? I really love the Japanese malts beers, but am slighly confused with what catagory they fall in. I'm thinking perhaps they are a Japanese swing on a Pilsner? Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for a clone that I could take a look at.

Here are some Links:
http://www.suntory.com/about/news/2005/9159.html
http://www.suntory.com/products/spirits.html
Jon Image
Rezzin

Re: Looking for - Suntory Premium Malts

Post by Rezzin »

Does the brewery have a website or a way to contact the head brewer there? You might want to try that route. I've tried this in the past a few times and have always received a helpful reply. The grain bill you might be able to nail but it might be their yeast that makes that beer shine. If that's the case, you will also want to find out if they use the same yeast strain for both fermentation and bottling.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Most Japanese beers are variations Standard American Lagers and Premium American Lagers. Probably a high percentage of rice as well as to lighten the body and flavor. I agree with Tim that the yeast is probably a proprietary strain which gives it that clean bright taste. I doubt if they are bottle conditioned, but it's worth looking into.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:I agree with Tim...
Agreeing with me is always a good thing, but I think all that inaugural drinking stole a few cells from you, Mr. President.
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

maltbarley wrote:
BrewMasterBrad wrote:I agree with Tim...
Agreeing with me is always a good thing, but I think all that inaugural drinking stole a few cells from you, Mr. President.
Tim quit using Mike's name you are confusing everyone! :lol:
Kevin
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

That stuff sounds like Japanese malt liquor to me!!!

:twisted:

Cheers!
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

brew captain wrote:That stuff sounds like Japanese malt liquor to me!!!

:twisted:

Cheers!
Haha, my first taste of alcohol was Suntory Wiskey at age 15. The things kids do to assume "coolness"...

I am confused with how beeradvocate.com rates beers. I guess if you ask a number of Joe Beerdrinkers to rate beers and post it on an open forum this is what you get. I was looking at the style "Japanese Rice Larger" and the ratings are horrible to average for all of them. I saw one(1) beer that had an A- rating, but that was a minor beer that I had never heard of and it only had 1 review. How can you have a separate dedicated style and have no "this is the perfect, or close to perfect" benchmark to compare them too?

FYI - Here is the review on Suntory's "The Premium Malts" it got a C+. I guess my taste for beer sucks :roll:

Cheers!
Jon Image
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Nobody can tell you what you like, but you.

Jward brews without hops, Rezzin has a secret stash of Coors Light; at the end of the day, they are content.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

maltbarley wrote:Nobody can tell you what you like, but you.

Jward brews without hops, Rezzin has a secret stash of Coors Light; at the end of the day, they are content.
I guess it's not a secret anymore! :evil: :oops:
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Oh, don't sweat it Mike! I privately admitted to a few of you recently that as much as I tried, I could not find a single fault with Bud Light! The drinkability is off the charts and the stinger in the morning is totally survivable!!!

Cheers!
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

brew captain wrote:Oh, don't sweat it Mike! I privately admitted to a few of you recently that as much as I tried, I could not find a single fault with Bud Light! The drinkability is off the charts and the stinger in the morning is totally survivable!!!

Cheers!
I have no shame Rob - sometimes a nice BL just hits the spot with me.

Speaking of light beers - I still haven't kegged that wheat I brewed on New Years day. Maybe I'll do that tonight.
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

brew captain wrote:Oh, don't sweat it Mike! I privately admitted to a few of you recently that as much as I tried, I could not find a single fault with Bud Light! The drinkability is off the charts and the stinger in the morning is totally survivable!!!

Cheers!
Sounds like that "drinkability" ad campaign is actually working.
Kevin
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Cheers!
Are we admitting to something else here entirely?
Wikipedia wrote:In other beverages, such as vodka and lagers, the presence of fusel alcohols is considered a fault. Very high concentrations — usually caused by incompetent distillation — can cause acute illness, including headaches, nausea, vomiting, clinical depression, or coma. Such a liquor may be referred to as rotgut. Bud Light is considered a common cure for rotgut.
Cheers! :cheers:

I may have added something to that quote. If your worried read here.
Jon Image