Dry hopping

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

jward

Dry hopping

Post by jward »

At the recent brew day I asked Rob about dry hopping my red ale to enter it in American Amber. He said post up the recipe. Here it is "Resignation Red" How would you dry hop this recipe?
dhempy

Re: Dry hopping

Post by dhempy »

I would think it might be bitter enough .. what does a sample taste like? If aroma is necessary, then I might dry hop it for a short time period.

BTW .. you have 2.43 lbs of Whirlfloc tablets ... that beer should be clear!

Dan
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

This is your standard red ale that you brew a lot, right? You just want to tweak it to fit what judges are expecting so that it does better in competitions? Personally, I like your red and I wouldn't tweak it just to do better in competitions. That said, experimentation is always good and maybe you'll find something you like even more. With your recipe, I'd probably dry hop it with an ounce of cascade, or maybe a 50/50 blend of cascade and mt hood.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I looked a little closer and you're doing 10G. I'd go with 1oz / 5G in the dry hops. These days I usually add the hops to the keg, so I might do one with only cascade and one with the 50/50 blend.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Dry hopping in the keg is a great idea. Just pull the bag out when the beer is where you like it. I like to use a few sanitized marbles to help keep everything submerged.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
jward

Post by jward »

Yah, it's pretty much to make it more like the IPAs that judges seem to expect in the American Amber category. :P It's also to have fun and try something new. I expect that I'll dry hop a 2.5G keg.

I saw the large amount of whirlfloc. :wink: I just didn't know how much is in one tablet and didn't correct it. The beer xml didn't pick up the yeast and attenuation on transfer either. Probably a recipe weirdness on my end.