Porter reading

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Brewski

Porter reading

Post by Brewski »

hey whats up guys, gotta ask for a favor. i brewed a porter this weekend, but forgot to take a hydrometer reading. i think there is a program or something that can figure out an approximate gravity based on the recipe, so if someone can plug in mine and let me know what my OG is i'd really appreciate it.

14 lb. pale malt extract

1.2 lb. each of caramel, biscuit, chocolate wheat, and regular chocolate grains... steeped for a half hour before boil

irish ale wyeast act1084

if you need more detail about the recipe just let me know. thanks a lot
Jared

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy" - Benjamin Franklin
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

We'd need to know the batch size as well. I just plugged it into the Recipe DB here on the site (see the [recipes] link at the top). If it's a 5 gallon batch you'll be around 1.111, I'm guessing with that much malt extract it's a 10 gallon batch at about 1.056.

Brent
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

I use ProMash and am happy with the program. I was not sure on the caramel malt, so I plugged crystal 40. If it was a 10 gallon batch it would come in around 1.055-1.060. If it was a five gallon batch it will be a true monster (over 1.110) and you would have been better served by using WLP007 instead!! :twisted:

Cheers!
Brewski

Post by Brewski »

oh i'm sorry, 14 lbs. was for my last recipe... i only used 8 lbs. malt and 5 gallons of water. my fault
Jared

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy" - Benjamin Franklin
Brewski

Post by Brewski »

also, i meant to say 1/2 lbs. of each of the grains... wow, i was way off with that first post. ill try not to post drunk anymore
Jared

bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Brewski wrote:ill try not to post drunk anymore
Doesn't stop any of us... You just need more practice :lol:
Brad
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

1.062 if using LME and 1.076 if using DME. You can get a free trial version of ProMash and most other brewing softwares that can help you with your recipe formulations. The trial versions don't let you do some things like print or save recipes, but if you have a screen capture program you can bypass a lot of that crap until you get around to buying a full version...

Cheers!
Brewski

Post by Brewski »

one more question... so it's been in the primary fermenter for over a week now, is there any harm in keeping it in this same container to age for a month or two? i usually transfer to a secondary, but i've heard this isn't necessary. my only concern in leaving it in the primary is all the excess/dead yeast, can this do any harm?
Jared

backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Brewski wrote:one more question... so it's been in the primary fermenter for over a week now, is there any harm in keeping it in this same container to age for a month or two? i usually transfer to a secondary, but i've heard this isn't necessary. my only concern in leaving it in the primary is all the excess/dead yeast, can this do any harm?
Depends on temp, but 3 weeks is about where I really like to get the beer off the trub. If you can move it, move it. If you can't for some reason, then I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I've left beers in primary for several months with no adverse effects on the beer as long as the temperature is kept in check.

Brent
Brewski

Post by Brewski »

i've kept the warming belt on, so the temp has remained between 68-75... is this a good range?
Jared

brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Actually, if you're just conditioning it, cooler is probably better. I'd just let it sit at ambient as long as that's below 68.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

brahn wrote:Actually, if you're just conditioning it, cooler is probably better. I'd just let it sit at ambient as long as that's below 68.
+1

If it's done fermenting and you're good with the gravity. Let it get as cold as you can.
Brewski

Post by Brewski »

cool... i live in pennsylvania, so keeping it cold won't be a problem whatsoever. ill just leave it in the primary and put it in the basement for a few more weeks, until i'm ready to bottle. i've heard varying opinions on keeping in primary vs. transferring to a secondary... but if it's all the same then ill probably just keep it as is for the time being.
Jared

dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Brent and Derrin are spot on ...

The tradeoffs in racking versus letting it sit are oxygenation versus autolysis. If you can avoid racking and minimize autolysis by keeping it cold you should be just fine ... especially of you're only going for a few more weeks. If it were to be longer than that, I'd think about racking.

I've recently converted to racking with CO2 (to avoid oxygenation) and I've gotta say, I love it. But that is a story for another thread.

Dan