Belgian Dark / Dubbel thoughts?

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Belgian Dark / Dubbel thoughts?

Post by bwarbiany »

Thinking of brewing this for the family for Christmas. We'll be up in Arrowhead, so having something of the darker variety but with the light body and drinkability of a Belgian would be nice. There'll be a wide variety of beer drinkers, so hopefully it won't be too aggressive.

I chose a mix of Chocolate, Special B, and debittered black (Carafa Special II) malts for character. I'm hoping for a bit of a nutty finish.

One caveat. There's no point in brewing this right away if it can't be ready to drink by Christmas. I think this will be mellow enough that with 3 weeks fermentation, addition of finings like Irish Moss & Gelatin, and 3 weeks of cold-conditioning and carbonation, it should be fine. But I want to get the groups thoughts on this. I can easily push this one out a few weeks/months if it can't be ready in 7 weeks.

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
30.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
1.00 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 2.78 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.78 %
1.00 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.78 %
2.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 18.3 IBU
2.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
3.00 lb Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.33 %
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) [Starter 1500 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.068 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.86 %
Bitterness: 19.8 IBU
Est Color: 27.5 SRM
Brad
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Robert and or Lyn can probably chime in with more authority than I can. Be sure to keep this one warm (~70 +/-) at this time of year during primary fermentation to let the yeasts impart their wonderful flavor profile. Colder temps will most likely inhibit the phenols that you might be looking for.

I'd also start that starter right away to be sure you've got enough yeast for fermentation ...(or get a couple of packs).

I find my Belgians are quite drinkable at 4-6 weeks BUT they do get better with age. The Dark Strong I competed with at Pac Brewer's cup was only 6 weeks old when I bottled it but I think it's better now (I almost didn't submit it because I thought it was too young). I'm looking for a couple of comps to submit to now that it has a bit of time under it's belt.

Good luck.

Dan
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Made a few changes...

Dropped the Pils to 28#
Replaced 3# cane sugar with 5# of homemade amber-ish candi sugar (get to try something new!)

Planning on mashing at 145.

Fermentation will probably start at 64 degrees until it kicks off, then raise to 68 for about 2 days, then allow it to go up to about 73 to finish.
Brad
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Brad:

Adding sugar I think is good. In "Brew Like A Monk" there was a good discussion about sugar. I think that the general message was "don't be afraid to add sugar to these styles of beer". Like everything else, too much of a good thing ... etc. but I don't think 5# is out of line.

I used both the liquid dark candi syrup and turbinado sugar in my Dark Strong.

Dan
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

The more I think about it, the more I think I might need to change this grain bill... I'm worried I'm overdoing it with the roasted malts... (Part of this is that the Chocolate I got was 550-660 deg L, not 350 deg L)...

I'm thinking about dropping it to:

8 oz (0.5#) Chocolate Malt
12 oz (0.75#) Carafa I (couldn't get Carafa II)

I think the flavors I'm putting together will work well, but I'm not sure if it will be too aggressive. Thoughts?
Brad