Winter Warmer

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Winter Warmer

Post by brahn »

It's about that time of year where I realize that I should have already brewed a Winter Warmer and get ready to throw something together. So what does everyone here brew to keep you warm through those frigid So Cal winters?

My first winter brewing I brewed a spiced beer out of a book that ended up tasting like ginger juice, then I did an IPA that turned out good and last year I brewed Denny's Santa's Helper recipe. If nothing else this year I'll probably brew the Santa's Helper again, that was pretty darn tasty.

Brent
beerGuardin

Post by beerGuardin »

Im brewing a version of Jamil Zainesheff's "Old Treacle Mine", an Old Ale. Should finish out to be around 9% ABV or so, so pretty warm. It uses Treacle, a molasses type stuff that they have in Brittan.

I havent found many commercial old ales readily available, but it looks interesting. Here's the recipe.

Old Treacle Mine
OG: 1.092
IBU: 67
SRM:22
6.5 gallons

90 min boil.

15.00 lbs. Maris Otter Extract 1.038
0.81 lbs. Crystal 75L 1.034
0.54 lbs. Treacle 1.036
0.27 lbs. Black Patent Malt 1.028

Hops

1.80 oz. Pacific Jade Pellet 11.6 % AA (corrected for age) 60 min.

Yeast

Wyeast 1028 London Ale

Ferment 68 Degrees F.
Last edited by beerGuardin on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

I usually do a robust pumpkin porter this time of year. Not too overly spiced. Just enough to know that this is meant for the holidays. The pumpkin goes in the mash after being baked in the oven for an hour so the pumpkin flavor just hovers in the background...

Cheers!
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Porter isn't my thing, but the idea of a pumpkin spiced porter is interesting. I think I'm going to go for something different for this year's winter warmer though. I've been wanting to brew my american rye with munich instead of 2-row, so I took that recipe and "imperialized" it. This is what I'm currently thinking of brewing, maybe this Sunday if I can get my homework done.

http://www.brewcommune.com/recipedb/recipe.php?r=144
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

I make a pumpkin cyser that kicks ass as well. No time this month with the wine on the front burner, but, next month is a possibility. I use cooking pumpkins, sweet potatoes and yams, and I roast them in a special way before adding them to the must. It gives my stuff a unique flavor and aroma.

Cheers,

Oskaar
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

That sounds really interesting Pete. I'd love to try that sometime.