RIScommune

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

maltbarley

RIScommune

Post by maltbarley »

As Patrick has offered up one of his barrels for aging and I wouldn't mind having some of my own, I'll brew up 10 gallons (mashtun permitting - likely end up with 8 gallons) of Brent's posted recipe. So rather than pick Brent's brain via PM, I figured others might want to know about his recipe.

The most interesting thing was the cane sugar after fermentation starts.

Did you mix up a solution or just pour granulated sugar right into the fermenter?
Why do this during fermentation?
How did you arrive at the Pacific Gem hops?
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner so I could respond. The cane sugar was boiled with enough water to dissolve it, I'd guess about a cup but it's not in my notes. When I brewed this beer I got less efficiency than normal and missed my gravity. I was originally hoping to hit 1.100 but hit 1.089. I did some reading and saw that Dogfish Head adds sugar after primary fermentation starts on some of their really big beers. I guess the idea is that they're in a less hostile environment when they get started, but with this small amount I really don't think that's a factor. So, I added the sugar after fermentation because I missed my gravity. It worked out well, so I did that for my barleywine last year and this year's RIS as well.

I had ordered some Pacific Gem from Freshops so I had them around. They're really high alpha (like 16%) so they're great for a beer like this that needs a lot of bitterness. I used them for the late hop addition because I'd read that they contribute a blackberry flavor. I really have no idea if that comes through in the final beer or not. They're pretty hard to find now, I don't really know what would make a good substitute. Maybe Mt. Hood, Santiam, even Centennial? Or just leave out the late hops, there are plenty of big flavors in this beer that you probably wouldn't even notice.

Hope that helps!

Brent
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

The recipe also doesn't mention yeast nutrient, but I'd highly recommend it for this beer even if you don't normally use it. I've got 2+ pounds of it at home, so I'd be happy to give some out if anyone needs it.

Brent
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

I'll be doing this recipe:

BrewCommune Barrel-Aged Collaborative RIS

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 22.50
Anticipated OG: 1.103 Plato: 24.45
Anticipated SRM: 51.8
Anticipated IBU: 77.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
84.4 19.00 lbs. Marris Otter BC 1.038 3
6.7 1.50 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
4.4 1.00 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
2.2 0.50 lbs. CaraMunich 60 France 1.034 60
2.2 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Horizon Pellet 14.00 68.1 60 min.
2.00 oz. Goldings - B.C. Pellet 4.75 8.4 10 min.
2.00 oz. Goldings - B.C. Pellet 4.75 1.0 1 min.

Yeast
-----

US-05 2 packs

I'm hoping I can brew this Sunday.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

That grain bill looks really close to what I'll be using, only swap american 2-row for MO and bump the Chocolate up to 1.5 lbs. Plus I'll be adding a bunch of sugar. :)

I'm going with Galena for around 80 IBU and am debating whether to add any late hop additions.

I'm also planning to use 2 packs of US-05.

I better do some inventory so I can get an order in to Zymurguy for the stuff I don't have.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

brahn wrote:That grain bill looks really close to what I'll be using, only swap american 2-row for MO and bump the Chocolate up to 1.5 lbs. Plus I'll be adding a bunch of sugar. :)

I'm going with Galena for around 80 IBU and am debating whether to add any late hop additions.

I'm also planning to use 2 packs of US-05.

I better do some inventory so I can get an order in to Zymurguy for the stuff I don't have.
Hmmm... it's been a while since we've had our last group buy hasn't it? :)

I think I may be running low on MO so I may sub some 2-row with whatever is left. I also forgot to add a 1/2# of pale chocolate malt to the bill.

Yeah, I saw that you used 2 packs of US-05 in your so I'm doing the same.

One thing I've noticed is that US-05 takes forever to clear up. It won't matter much though with the RIS.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Do you rehydrate your dry yeast? Tyler convinced me to try it and I've been happy with the results. I just add the yeast at 1g/10ml water at around 85-90 degrees and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then I add about a quarter cup of the wort to the yeast to acclimate it, give it about 15 minutes and pitch.

I've never noticed a problem with US-05 clearing slowly, but then pretty much everything I brew has problems with chill haze so I wouldn't notice a little yeast haze to go along with it.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

I did a blonde and pale with US-05 and just tossed them in. Both achieved 80%+ attenuation. I'll try the rehydration with the RIS I guess - I just hate messing with yeast uncovered.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Aluminum Foil!
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

heh - I'm ultra anal. I typically light tea lights around my work area when working with yeast 'starters' and constantly spray alcohol onto my hands and anything I touch.

Hopefully I find the time to brew this Sunday! If I don't then it'll have to wait until the following weekend. Any later than that will be too late.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Brewing midweek is pretty cool. It happened to be a slow day today so I went home early. I've got the RIS mashing now and I'll be heating up the sparge water in about 20 minutes. If all goes well, I should hopefully be all done before 6:30pm - just in time to watch the last 3 quarters of the Laker game! :)
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

My favorite brewdays are the ones I take off from work just to brew. That's always a great day. :)
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

brahn wrote:My favorite brewdays are the ones I take off from work just to brew. That's always a great day. :)
I need to do that. Better yet, I want to brew at work. Getting paid while I brew (or not wasting vacation/sick days) would be sweet. :roll: Like that will ever happen,
Kevin
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

That's Brad's specialty, brewing on a conference call. Man that would be sweet. I've brewed during conference calls but they were on weekends so it doesn't really count...
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Hmmm... I got my first stuck sparge today. When adding my 2nd water addition, I tossed in some rice hulls and I think it helped some. My efficiency was a lot lower this time as well - I'll probably hit somewhere around 1.090 instead of 1.100. Wort tastes incredible though.