Honey wheat

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Re: Honey wheat

Post by bwarbiany »

I've always been a fan of the "pitch at low temp and let it rise" method... I also generally ferment at the lower end of the yeast's range to keep it clean. I do tend to use higher pitching rates (3-4 packs dry yeast per 10 gallons, depending on OG), but that combined with lower temps gives me lag time typically between 18 and 30 hours. A bit longer for lagers, maybe up to 48 hours (and I like to pitch between 43-45 degrees and ferment at 49 for lagers). I ferment in a Sanke keg, so all I can go by is bubble activity, not visible krausen.

The only significant time I've had something different is when I did my Oktoberfest using Mangrove Jack's M84 Bavarian Lager yeast. Even with a high pitch rate (it was either 4 or 5 packs for 10 gallons), I had a nearly 96-hour lag. That was ridiculous. That beer came out okay, but not as good as lagers I've done with SafLager W-34/70.

But yeah, I agree that if you have activity in less than 12 hours, it's probably too warm. Your batch seems to be coming along exactly as I'd expect.
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Honey wheat

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Sorry to get in on this so late, but I don't think I can add more than you guys have already said. You guys rock and I am truly amazed at the vast amount of knowledge and skill we have as a club.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's