Style: The "Florida Weisse"

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Style: The "Florida Weisse"

Post by bwarbiany »

Seems perfect for South Beach... Basically a fruity Berliner.

http://draftmag.com/features/florida-weisse-berliner/

Anybody tried anything like this? I don't typically get much into fruit beers, but this could be an interesting summer beer...
Brad
Luckbad

Re: Style: The "Florida Weisse"

Post by Luckbad »

Berliner Weisse is usually served with some sort of fruit syrup in Germany, so it's almost closer to the real thing than most people see out here (most of the time I've seen Berliner Weisse at restaurants/bars, they just come sour with no fruit).

I've long toyed with the idea of starting a trendy type of bar that sells a base Berliner Weisse (maybe a choice of light or dark base) and has big tubes of various fruit syrups that you can see into (lit from the bottoom/back, of course) so you could order a beer and a shot (or shots) of different fruit syrups.

"I'll have a light with a double shot of raspberry" or "Gimme a dark with a shot of strawberry" or "I'll have a light clean with an ice cube"

Make those syrups fresh made, organic, "all natural," or some other phrase that Californians like to hear and you've got yourself a likely hit.

Doubt I'll ever get around to it unless I retire from game development, but it looks like something that might be able to get legs out here.
lexuschris

Re: Style: The "Florida Weisse"

Post by lexuschris »

I've not had a Berliner Weisse, but the idea has always intrigued me... the Florida Weisse sounds like a worthy endeavor too!

Also, if you had not seen the March/April 2014 issue of Zymurgy, they cover the use of kumquats in brewing..

:happybeer:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields