Kolsch feedback

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Kolsch feedback

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

DrDually wrote:Chris
Have you considered doing a SMaSH?
Single malt and single hops
Just brewed one using Munich malt, Sterling hops and American ale yeast
I've done this a few times. An American Pale Ale with all two-row malt and Cascade hops. I have also done it with a Pilsner - all Pilsner malt with Tettnang hops. Both were delicious.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I kegged the Blonde Ale last week, and it tasted really good un-carbonated... Looking forward to getting this on the CO2 for a bit too! I'm actually back up to having full kegs and not enough taps! Yes! 8)

Also, I kept another quart of yeast slurry from this last batch, and am looking to brew something this weekend with it. I was thinking about doing an American Pale Ale with this awesome yeast! Would love some feedback on hop profile suggestions using what I have on hand:

1.4 oz Ahtanum (5.2% AA)
2.0 oz Nugget (13.3% AA)
1.1 oz Pearle (7.8% AA)
1.1 oz Simcoe (12.2% AA)
1.2 oz Citra (3.5% AA)
0.4 oz Styrian Goldings (3.8% AA)
1.0 oz UK Goldings (7.2% AA)
1.5 oz Mt. Hood (5.5% AA)
1.5 oz Willamette (5.2% AA)

I'm brewing a 10-gal batch, and probably something like:
22# US 2-row Pale Malt
1# Crystal 60L
Mash at 154-F sacc. rest.
Boil 90-mins

And then the WLP029 German Kolsch yeast to make it happy!

So, what hops & times would you recommend? Any thoughts on grain bill?
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Looks good to me, I'd probably do some Nugget at 60 minutes, maybe the WIllamette at 10-15 minutes and the Citra and Simcoe at flameout with a 20-30 minute whirlpool. You've got a lot of good options with the hops you've got on hand, I don't think you can go wrong.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I've now tasted my Honey Blonde Ale from the 2nd batch of the yeast. Wow! This really came out well! Aroma of honey & flowers, taste of honey & citrus. All in a nice dry light hybrid ale. This was my final receipe.

I've said it before, but I have to say it again: Honey can add flavor to your brew. It does NOT just dry it out. Don't listen to those who pour honey into the boil, then complain they can't taste it and their beer is too dry. I add my honey during cooldown. In this case, 2# (in a 10-gal batch) of honey once the wort gets to 130-F or lower. This beer is so aromatic of honey, I really don't get those who say you should use honey malt instead.

I'll be bringing a keg of this to Lake Casitas for sure. Try it for yourself. This is a honey blonde the way it should be! :)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

brahn wrote:Looks good to me, I'd probably do some Nugget at 60 minutes, maybe the WIllamette at 10-15 minutes and the Citra and Simcoe at flameout with a 20-30 minute whirlpool. You've got a lot of good options with the hops you've got on hand, I don't think you can go wrong.
Excellent choices! I've got 48 hours carbing on this pale ale and it tastes great! I went 50/50 with US 2-row and Golden Promise, and the 1# of Crystal 60L. 1 oz Nugget @ 90min, 1.5 oz Willamette @ 15m, 1oz Citra & 1oz Simcoe during whirlpool. 3rd generation Kolsch yeast, and it dropped crystal clear after 3 weeks in the fermenter. So, some biscuit notes with mango/pineapple/citrus on the noste. Taste has those and a touch of earthiness too... nice! I am really loving this yeast!

I'll bring a keg to the campgrounds next weekend, along with the blonde. I think I have a bomber or 2 of the original Kolsch around as well.

Thanks for all the help on these past 3 beers!
--LexusChris
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Awesome Chris! I agree on the yeast, it's pretty much become my house yeast at this point.