SimBus Collaboration IPA

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

SimBus Collaboration IPA

Post by bwarbiany »

So Alex (3rdto1st) and I had talked about doing a collaboration beer to identify the effect of fermentation temperature on the finished product. So the goal is to brew 15 gallons on my system, ferment 10 under temp control at my house, and 5 without temp control at his house. All other aspects of the recipe will be the same, but obviously we can't necessarily ensure that both beers will be cold crashed prior to kegging, etc. Then we plan to bring some to one of the club meetings to see the difference that ferment temp brings.

Below is the proposed recipe at this point... Any thoughts?

------------------

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 18.37 gal
Post Boil Volume: 16.12 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 15.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 15.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 86.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
20.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 55.6 %
8.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 22.2 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.6 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.6 %
4.00 lb Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5 11.1 %
3.50 oz Citra [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 56.1 IBUs
3.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 10. Hop 7 17.6 IBUs
4.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 8 12.9 IBUs
4.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Aroma St Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
5.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 11 -
5.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
5.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 36.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 50.34 qt of water at 161.4 F 152.0 F 60 min
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Re: SimBus Collaboration IPA

Post by brahn »

I really like the idea of this experiment. My only comment would be that an IPA is a reasonably forgiving style with all the huge hop flavors going on and this may cover up some fermentation temperature issues. I still think you'll be able to tell them apart, but a different style might make the differences a bit more obvious.
nevery

Post by nevery »

Brahn totally stole my thoughts. I would suggest someing that showcases the yeast and/or barley like an ale, wheat, or doppelbock. Maybe even go nuts with a Belgian? Lol. I'm very anxious to see the results. I'm also down to help on brew day if you want the help and I'm available.

Last Notable: BullMac's Citra's Last Stand, Fathead Head Hunter, Theakston Old Peculiar, Pliny the Elder! (Courtesy of bwarbiany), Bruery White Chocolate

Anticipating:

bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Y'all are going to have to have your own experiments, or I'll need to wait several more batches.

Wanted to do it this way for a few reasons:

1) I need a beer to go alongside my O'Fest, Roggenbier, and Apfelwein for a party, and want something very hoppy like IPA on tap to do so. So my next batch was going to be an IPA regardless of whether it's used for this experiment or not.
2) The next batch after this one is a lager, and thus obviously not a candidate for this experiement, and then we're into late November at least.
3) We're in the hot time of the year still... If Alex isn't controlling fermentation temp, but the beer is fermented in January, it might not make a difference.

Does this mean that it's an ideal beer style for the experiment? No. But hey, all that means is that when next spring/summer comes more experiments can be run and more data collected :-)
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

bwarbiany wrote:But hey, all that means is that when next spring/summer comes more experiments can be run and more data collected :-)
I'll volunteer to help with "data collection". :cheers:
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

brahn wrote:
bwarbiany wrote:But hey, all that means is that when next spring/summer comes more experiments can be run and more data collected :-)
I'll volunteer to help with "data collection". :cheers:
Here here :cheers: :happybeer:
GreyWolf27
3rdto1st

Post by 3rdto1st »

My name is 3rdto1st and I wish I could approve this brew. :(

Unfortunately things have come to a head with my grandfather going to the hospital this weekend, and my gfs grandmother taking a bad turn over the weekend. That along with a few other family problems means I will not be able to make this brew night. I'm sorry Brad, I won't be able to do this experiment with you right now, maybe another time.
Brewing soon: KtG
Primary :
Secondary: Sucaba clone (on oak soaked in EC12)
Kegs: Kate the just OK, English SMASH

Gals brewed '11: 50
Gals brewed '12: 50
nevery

Post by nevery »

I'm sorry you're going through that Alex. I wish you, your grandfather, and your girlfriend's grandmother get better and persevere through these tough times. Good luck man. Keep your chin up.

I don't want to step on toes, but If it's something that needs to be made I can stand-in for Alex. I'm really interested in the science and results and soon is the window of opportunity, being that it's not too cold and not too hot. I typically check temps and record them three times a day for the first 10 days, then let it go until it's ready to be dealt with, so we'll have the data for comparison.

I don't have temperature control per-se, just a makeshift swamp-cooler waterbath. I also do not have a keg system, so if bottling isn't sufficient I would have to borrow a keg and meet up with someone that can condition the beer when it's done. Or if need be, I can help brew it and ferment it, then give it back. Please let me know if that's what you guys want to do so I can leave a spot open for fermenting. I plan on brewing back to back in the next month being the temps are getting better.

Thanks.

Last Notable: BullMac's Citra's Last Stand, Fathead Head Hunter, Theakston Old Peculiar, Pliny the Elder! (Courtesy of bwarbiany), Bruery White Chocolate

Anticipating:

bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

nevery wrote:I don't want to step on toes, but If it's something that needs to be made I can stand-in for Alex. I'm really interested in the science and results and soon is the window of opportunity, being that it's not too cold and not too hot. I typically check temps and record them three times a day for the first 10 days, then let it go until it's ready to be dealt with, so we'll have the data for comparison.

I don't have temperature control per-se, just a makeshift swamp-cooler waterbath.
My goal is to compare complete temp control with no temp control, so if your water bath is enough control that you're keeping even down in the 70-72 range, it may not be as valid of an experiment as Alex who has no temp control available.

That said, I'm definitely brewing the beer Friday after work, and I haven't bought the specialty grains or yeast yet, so I can pick up enough of each to make this a 15 gallon batch rather than a 10 gallon batch pretty easily. So if you want to join me on Friday, we can make it happen... I buy most stuff in bulk, so your 5 gallon share will probably be cheaper than most of your own 5 gallon batches anyway :D
Brad
nevery

Post by nevery »

Here's an update to the 5-gal portion of SimBus:
Expected OG: 1.068
Actual OG: 1.080 (Brad's magical 95% efficiency!)

Expected FG: 1.017
Expected ABV: 8.25%

Pitched: 10/05/12 ~10:30pm
First activity: 10/06/12 @ 9:14am w/5 bubbles per minute to the airlock.
Activity peaked: 10/07/12 @ 12:12pm w/156bpm
Activity seized: 10/10/12 @ 3:00pm

Temps range from 68-80°F
AVG Temps being 73.4°F
AVG Temps during active fermentation being 74.5°F

Dry hops added 10/15/12 @ 10:03pm

Smells fricken awesome! Can't wait to share this with the team. I would love to have a blind, BJCP-style written scoresheet from the members that judge between the two types. If that's ok with Brad W., I'd like to ask permission for some time at the next meeting to complete this experiment and bring fake scoresheets or something so we can get specific results.

Thanks again Brad (bwarbiany) for letting me take part in this, doing most of the work and having all the ingredients. I had a lot of fun that night and good beers, too! Thank you!

So more info to follow; stay tuned.

Anticipating:

brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I'd be happy to fill out a scoresheet. We don't have to use fake ones, you can print the real ones from the site.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I'd point out that Never's portion pitched at 64 degrees, so there's no concern on high pitch temp.

We also *both* had technical difficulties with our oxygenation systems, so neither batch received a blast of O2. But he pitched 2 packs US-05 in his 5 gallons and I pitched 3 packs in my 10 gallons, so pitch rates shouldn't be an issue.

Finally, I worked hard to give him a very clear wort out of the kettle, post-whirlpool. With as much hop material as there was, he certainly will have some trub, but it should be pretty clean. On my end, I generally just put everything that makes it through the pump and CFC into my fermenter, so mine will have a lot more trub.

--------------------

So, for the 10 gallon portion:

Pitch time: same as Never's
Pitch temp: 69 degrees
Overnight in the fridge I dropped it to 64 degrees, with temp probe in thermowell, 1 degree hysteresis
Friday, 10/12: Raised temp to 70 degrees
Sunday, 10/14 10:00 PM: Added dry hops, raised temp to 72 degrees

Edit: I did not have activity stop on 10/10 like Never -- Visible airlock activity stalled about 10/14. I attribute this to the slower fermentation caused by lower temps.

Plan is to leave it until this Saturday, at which time I'll cold crash it, then keg mid-week next week.

Should be fully carbonated and conditioned by the Nov meeting.
Brad
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Results and score sheets found at the link below:

http://thelibertypapers.org/files/Score ... riment.pdf

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!
Brad