Brown Ale

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

maltbarley

Brown Ale

Post by maltbarley »

I grabbed this recipe off of the Brew Magic Forum and I'll probably brew it on Sunday-
11 gal batch

23 lbs pale ale malt
1 lb Crystal 40
1 lb Special B
1 lb pale chocolate malt

Mash in and recirculate at 150 for 1 hour with 1.25 qts/lb (8.125 gallons for this one) on a .050" crush. R/O water for the mash and carbon filtered local water for the 170 degree sparge.

2 oz Amarillo [Will substitute with Cascade] for 60 minutes
4 oz Cascade for 30 minutes
2 whirlfloc tablets at 10 minutes left
1 oz Cascade for 1 minute

McGuires Irish Pub strain of yeast [can't get that so I'll use Nottingham], about 1 cup of slurry per carboy, ferment 2 weeks at 64 degrees.

OG around 1.060
FG around 1.010
Any Comments?
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

Tim,
The black and special B seem a bit too much. I'd cut them in 1/2 and add some flaked barley and wheat for head retention.

Why the 2 whirlfloc tablets? It's a brown ale that looks like it'll be almost black....
Good hopping schedule for an American Brown.
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I don't see black malt in the recipe. Pale chocolate is a lot lighter than black malt, around 200L I think. For an 11G batch I think those numbers look reasonable.

I do think 1 whirlfloc is supposed to be enough for 10G but I don't really know.

Sounds pretty tasty to me, but I might go with a little more late hops.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Mmmmm... Special B! Tim I would recommend 1.5 ounces at 30 another 1.5 ounces at 10 and finish with 2 ounces at knockout. That or consider taking that 340 minute addition and throwing 2 ounces in your mash and shift the other 2 ounces closer to the finish.

Looks good! If I am not brewing myself I might stop by. Any chance you still got that 6.5 gallon carboy sitting around with my name on it?

Cheers!
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Brew Captain wrote:Mmmmm... Special B! Tim I would recommend 1.5 ounces at 30 another 1.5 ounces at 10 and finish with 2 ounces at knockout. That or consider taking that 340 minute addition and throwing 2 ounces in your mash and shift the other 2 ounces closer to the finish.
Are you trying to confuse me here?

Looks good! If I am not brewing myself I might stop by. Any chance you still got that 6.5 gallon carboy sitting around with my name on it?
I think it's still here, but I may have peed in it.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Brew Captain wrote:Mmmmm... Special B! Tim I would recommend 1.5 ounces at 30 another 1.5 ounces at 10 and finish with 2 ounces at knockout. That or consider taking that 340 minute addition and throwing 2 ounces in your mash and shift the other 2 ounces closer to the finish.
Robert is typing drunk again.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Uh yeah ... I'm not sure I follow either.

Dan
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Uh, that was at 6:00 in the morning Brad. I was referring to his 4oz addition and how I would break it up. Of course I meant 30 minute addition, not 340 minute addition. Spilled coffee on the keyboard the other day. Lots of cut and pastes...

I just now stole my kids keyboard to use for accuracy while I am drinking and posting tonight. :idea:

Cheers!
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Uh, that was at 6:00 in the morning Brad.
And you can't be drunk at 6am? What's a porter for if you aren't drinking it for breakfast?
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

I hear ya, but only crack a beer that early on the weekends thank you!

Good luck on your brew Tim. I am now working all day Sunday, but will likely be passing by your pad in the late afternoon. I will give you a shout to see if you are still brewing and possibly stop by to grab that urine filled carboy...

Cheers!
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

work...sunday? Is that an indication of how the new job is going?

It may end up as later brew if I wait until Sunday to set up my mill so there's a good chance I'll still be brewing.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Hey Tim, just out of curiosity, what kind of efficiency are you seeing on your Sabco system? How much are you starting with in your boil kettle to end up with 10 gallons in the fermenter? Does your boil kettle have a diverter plate? Why is the sky blue?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's