my #10. human sacrifice ipa

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

nico soze

my #10. human sacrifice ipa

Post by nico soze »

I'm following the brewfooery lead here. No specialty grains, creative adjunct. Any thoughts?
6lb golden light dme
4 1/2 lb agave syrup at burnout
1 1/2 lb honey at burnout.
2oz cascade 50
1/2 oz cascade 15
1/2 oz centennial 15
2oz centennial 0
1 1/2 oz cascade dryhop
1 1/2 centennial dryhop
Either us05 or cal ale yeast.
And a single drop OF MY OWN BLOOD! Just kidding. OR AM I?

Also looking to pick most of that off of you, chad.
nico soze

Re: my #10. human sacrifice ipa

Post by nico soze »

Forgot to mention a lb of pinconcillo sugar at burnout
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Agave syrup is strong, dude... I did an Agave wheat with somewhere in the range of 3# syrup poured into secondary, and the tequila note in the flavor was overwhelming. I couldn't stomach drinking it unless I squeezed a whole lime wedge into the glass. Not just garnish, but squeeze in the juice.

Consequently, I still have 3# or so of agave syrup left over from that batch that I have *no* plans to use, so if you want it, it's yours.

FYI, just from looking at this recipe, this stuff is going to be STRONG. Off the cuff, wouldn't this kind of recipe be in the 1.100 range?

Some info from way back in the search engine on agave here:
http://www.brewcommune.com/forum/viewto ... 15&start=0
Brad
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

Maybe I should dial it back to 1 1/2 lb. And/or switch to a high gravity yeast.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I guess it depends on what you are going for... This recipe looks a bit hoochy to me. Light DME and lots of sugary fermentables. If added post boil, you should definitely pickup on the honey, agave & other sugar flavors. The Golden light DME won't much get in the way.

The hops will be competing, but I'd love see the IBU/OG ratio... have you put this into a recipe calculator like Beersmith or something?

And I suspect you won't need the high-gravity yeast. US-05, WLP001 is quite happy up in the low teens. Unless you want to further up to mid-high teens, I say stick with WLP001. :)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

Lol a bit hoochy is a good way to describe the brewfooery style. No, I haven't started playing w software yet
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

lexuschris wrote:I guess it depends on what you are going for... This recipe looks a bit hoochy to me. Light DME and lots of sugary fermentables. If added post boil, you should definitely pickup on the honey, agave & other sugar flavors. The Golden light DME won't much get in the way.

The hops will be competing, but I'd love see the IBU/OG ratio... have you put this into a recipe calculator like Beersmith or something?

And I suspect you won't need the high-gravity yeast. US-05, WLP001 is quite happy up in the low teens. Unless you want to further up to mid-high teens, I say stick with WLP001. :)
--LexusChris
+10

My suggestion would be to stick with a single adjunct sugar and not much of it. Otherwise the flavors of each are not going to blend but rather will just be lost on each other and come across as hot alcohol.