Gose

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Gose

Post by bwarbiany »

Looking to make this for my next batch. Plan would be to do my normal mash with only ~1# of the acid malt (perhaps less, I haven't run the numbers yet), as the acid in the additional might hurt conversion, then adding the additional acid malt after about 45 minutes of the mash. Looking for a nice tart character, but not a strong sourness.

I also chose to go with a combo of US-05 and WLP300, as I don't want the "hefe" characteristic to be overwhelming. I understand Gose is traditionally brewed with a hefe yeast at low temps (~62), but from what I've heard about hefe yeasts is that you tend to get prominent clove down in those ranges. My theory is that US-05 will chug along very happily at 62, and the hefe will give some of the natural stylistic aspects of a gose without going overboard. But I've never mixed yeasts, so I'm unclear if my theory is correct...

Thoughts?

---------------------------------------

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.50 gal
Boil Size: 14.92 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 3.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 7.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 100 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
6.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 33.33 %
3.00 lb Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.50 oz Sea Salt (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [StartYeast-Wheat

Mash @ 152 deg.
Brad
lexuschris

Re: Gose

Post by lexuschris »

Well, all I know about Gose, I read in the May-June 2011 BYO story. And until SCHF this year, I had never tried one. (pretty different, tasty & interesting .. I think it was from New Belgium Brewing...)

Check out the article. I really know nothing much about the style. Ohh, the 2 recipes they give use either KOLSH (WLP029) or German Ale (1007) yeasts ... I'm not sure you want the WLP300 in there at all ..

Good luck!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields