Berliner Weisse

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Berliner Weisse

Post by brahn »

I'd like to have a Berliner Weisse to drink this summer, and I'm wondering if anyone here has brewed this style before. I've never used lactobacillus delbrueckii and I'm not sure how long it will take to finish this beer. Do I need to get this started now to have it ready for summer? I know that for something like a flanders red I'd need more like a year for all the bugs to do their thing, but with a beer this small and only the lacto I thought it might take a lot less time.

I'm going to shoot for about 1.032, using 50% Pils, 50% Wheat malt and just a dash of hops added at some point in the boil for around 4 IBU. I'm planning to pitch half a pack of US-05 and a tube of the White Labs Lacto culture (WLP677 I think) both at the same time to hopefully get a nice sour character to the beer. Any comments?
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

And is there any problem with serving this through my normal taps? Will I need to replace everything to get the lacto out when I'm done? I am going to dedicate the bucket to funk after this ferment, but what about everything else?

Thanks!
Brent
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

brahn wrote:And is there any problem with serving this through my normal taps? Will I need to replace everything to get the lacto out when I'm done? I am going to dedicate the bucket to funk after this ferment, but what about everything else?

Thanks!
Brent
Dedicating a bucket and siphon hoses will be important. Personally I'd bottle it because you'll never really know if you are free of the bug until a good batch goes bad.