Anderson Valley Boont Amber ale - extract brewing

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Anderson Valley Boont Amber ale - extract brewing

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

DrDually wrote:John
You probably have already heard this, but here goes...get the process down using known and trusted kits.
Once you are comfortable with this, then start changing recipes etc. This will avoid trying to make too many changes and not having a good starting point
Couldn't agree more. Just like cooking, when your are trying to perfect a recipe, you only change one variable at a time. Once you learn what you are tasting (hops, malts, residual sweetness, astringency, etc) you will be able to start making adjustments with confidence.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

I brewed the Boont Amber ale clone last Sunday and it tasted and smells awesome. I'm thinking of brewing an Oktoberfest after my American Pale ale.
BrewMasterBrad wrote:
DrDually wrote:John
You probably have already heard this, but here goes...get the process down using known and trusted kits.
Once you are comfortable with this, then start changing recipes etc. This will avoid trying to make too many changes and not having a good starting point
Couldn't agree more. Just like cooking, when your are trying to perfect a recipe, you only change one variable at a time. Once you learn what you are tasting (hops, malts, residual sweetness, astringency, etc) you will be able to start making adjustments with confidence.
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

I just looked at my carboy and it appears that the activity is slowing way down. Tomorrow will be week one that it’s been in a carboy. Should I prepare the priming sugar tomorrow and bottle? Again, it’s only been one week but I do not have any instructions to follow for fermentation. I do have to say it smells awesome though. I think I want to wait another week but again I just don't know for sure.

Thanks,
John
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Sounds like things are going well!

The quick easy answer is to give it another week at least, before going to bottling.

The more detailed answer is that fermentation is complete when you have the same gravity reading 3 days in a row. However, not too many of us measure our gavities that often. Usually, main fermentation is done in the first week. There is another stage to fermentation where the yeast, having run out of sugars, start to consume the by-products created during their ravenous sugar fest. Thus, an extra week is good as it removes some off-flavors like diacetyl.

You can leave the beer on the yeast longer, although most folks would recommend no more than 4 weeks. Any longer, and the dead yeast start to break down and release lipids which can also affect flavor.

I over-simplified a bit, but that is the gist of it.
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

Hi Lexuschris,

Thank you for the help. That puts my mind at ease.

I appreciate it.
John
lexuschris wrote:Sounds like things are going well!

The quick easy answer is to give it another week at least, before going to bottling.

The more detailed answer is that fermentation is complete when you have the same gravity reading 3 days in a row. However, not too many of us measure our gavities that often. Usually, main fermentation is done in the first week. There is another stage to fermentation where the yeast, having run out of sugars, start to consume the by-products created during their ravenous sugar fest. Thus, an extra week is good as it removes some off-flavors like diacetyl.

You can leave the beer on the yeast longer, although most folks would recommend no more than 4 weeks. Any longer, and the dead yeast start to break down and release lipids which can also affect flavor.

I over-simplified a bit, but that is the gist of it.
--LexusChris
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

John,
So did your Boont Amber Ale turn out? After reading your first post, I located an all grain recipe and decided to brew it today...
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

I tried it about two weeks ago and felt that the warmer the beer got the better the taste was. I hope that is just because it is still young. :?
DrDually wrote:John,
So did your Boont Amber Ale turn out? After reading your first post, I located an all grain recipe and decided to brew it today...
BARL Brewing

Post by BARL Brewing »

The Brewing Network just did a can you brew it show on this beer

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/739
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

Can I brew it~ NO! Ha, ha! But what ever it is I did brew didn't turn out half bad.
Thanks for the link...
BARL Brewing wrote:The Brewing Network just did a can you brew it show on this beer

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/739
BARL Brewing

Post by BARL Brewing »

here is the recipie given on cybi

6 gallons post-boil
70% efficiency

OG 1058
FG 1010
IBUs 18.3
SRM 14.8

4.61kg 2-row 80%
580g Crystal 40 10%
580g Crystal 80 10%
Mash at 152F

Boil for 90min

3.3g Magnum pellet 15%AA at 90min
4.4g Horizon pellet 13%AA at 60min
7g Palisade or Cluster pellet 7% at 20min or hot whirlpool
61.4g Cascade whole leaf in hopback or 0min

WLP002
Pitch at 65F, raise to 68F

notes:
Consider adding Gypsum
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Did they say whether it was cloned or not?

3 grams of Magnum at 90 minutes and 4g of Horizon at 60 minutes? Those are REALLY small additions. That's pretty crazy...
BARL Brewing

Post by BARL Brewing »

They said it was cloned spot on, extremely minor difference in aroma in the nose (blueberry or strawberry pancakes) most likely from Anderson Valleys house strain yeast, they have been using for like 23 years.