Milk Stout

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Milk Stout

Post by bwarbiany »

I was traveling last week, and drank a pint of Left Hand Brewing Company's Milk Stout. It's a beer I remember from my days in Georgia (it's not distributed to California). About three days later, I was reminded of the beer by a second person.

So I decided I need to brew a milk stout.

Below is the intended recipe...

---------------------------------------------------

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 28.57 %
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 28.57 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
1.00 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9.52 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.35 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 27.9 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 40.5 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: My Mash Total Grain Weight: 9.50 lb
Sparge Water: 4.14 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 9.50 qt of water at 177.7 F 158.0 F
10 min Step Add 3.50 qt of water at 210.5 F 170.0 F
Brad
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Hey Brad:

First, welcome as a BC Member!

Question for you ... have you tried steeping your dark grains at room temp for a couple of hours prior to brewing adding them with a few minutes left in the mash cycle? For my porter and stout recipes I've crushed the dark grains separately and steeped then in a couple of quarts of water for several hours .. then with about 10 minutes left in the first rest (before sparge) I bring the temp up to 160-170 and dump them into the mash tun. Since I vorlauf to raise the temp to 170 after mashing (before mashout) the dark "juice" circulates a couple of times. I do this step to reduce the astringency contribution (a technique I picked up here a while ago). So far, it has worked well for me (bronze at the state fair for my Oatmeal stout and a gold at the PBC for the porter). I did a steep last weekend for the Vanilla Porter .. there weren't enough dark grains to make it worthwhile for the Nut Brown ...

Post up your technique ... happy brewing!

Dan
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

My technique up until this point has been "brew IPA's, Ambers, Pale Ales, wheat beer, and belgians." This will only be my second stout, and I brewed one "frankenbeer", sort of a belgian strong dark that was almost a belgian porter. All of my previous dark beers were extract w/ steeped grains.

I'll probably start this brew day early in the AM, and my bro-in-law most likely won't wake up early enough to start the steep process (we brew at his place).

Would you think adding and stirring in the dark grains with, say, 15-20 minutes left in the mash might accomplish something similar? If I do this, should I up the quantities to 1# each on the Roast Barley and Chocolate to compensate for the shorter time?
Brad
jward

Post by jward »

bwarbiany wrote:Would you think adding and stirring in the dark grains with, say, 15-20 minutes left in the mash might accomplish something similar? If I do this, should I up the quantities to 1# each on the Roast Barley and Chocolate to compensate for the shorter time?
I'm one of the cold steepers. I do this especially with Red Ale where I want that wonderful color but not so much of the acrid roastyness. I expect some of those flavors in a Stout. You might consider just mashing the whole thing this time and trying the cold steeping next time.

To give an opinion to your question... I think a late addition will reduce the acrid/astringent character but not as much as the cold steeping. I would not add any more grain to compensate.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

What he said ...

Dan