Honey Basil Wheat...Wheat the ****

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Maynerd

Honey Basil Wheat...Wheat the ****

Post by Maynerd »

I have some friends visiting this weekend who would like a crash course in brewing. One would like to make a Wheat Beer the other wants to clone Honey Basil Ale by Bison Brewing. To make this fun for all I was thinking about a Honey Basil Wheat Beer. (All Grain 5 Gallon batch)

I have never had anything with all these elements, so do any of you experts have recommendations? (If you think this is just a BAD combination tell me)

How would I go about getting the honey/basil flavor in the beer?
backyard brewer

Re: Honey Basil Wheat...Wheat the ****

Post by backyard brewer »

I think you'll end up with something that is not quite what either of them wanted. Honey Wheat beers are pretty popular, so adding the basil wouldn't through it too far out of whack I guess. That is of course if we're talking about a wheat beer and not a hefe.

Having never used basil, I have no recommendation there.

For the honey, add it at flame out as you're chilling the wort.
Maynerd

Post by Maynerd »

Even though its not exactly what either was expecting, they are okay with the idea. Thanks for the tip on the Honey, now I just need direction on the basil. Has anyone ever added an herb to brew (basil)?
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I've never used basil. I did try a basil beer at the SCHF this year... it was pretty good, but that basil is a strong flavor. I enjoyed the taster glass I had, but not too sure if I want 5 gals on tap at home! :)

Brewing with herbs that you've not tried before, usually you want to find an existing recipe to mimic. Or better yet, soak the herb in a 1/2 cup of vodka for a week.. and add it to taste at bottling time. That will let you really get to control the right amount of basil flavor in your brew. Put a few drops in a half pint. Taste. Add more. Taste. Etc.

Good luck!
--LexusChris

p.s. with a strong herb like that ... less is more... 8)
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields