Rye Pale Ale

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Rye Pale Ale

Post by brahn »

bwarbiany wrote: RyePA: Scored 29 from all three judges (incl. Brad N). All seemed to find it estery, some I think suggested it was too apparent. I thought that odd as I fermented US-05 down in the 64 deg range. Other comment (that I think hurt my score a bit) was that it finished a bit dry, which I attribute largely to the use of Rye. I try to balance this recipe w/ Munich & Crystal 60L to offset that Rye dryness, and I think I hit it pretty successfully (but that puts it a bit on the edge style-wise). So I'm okay with that comment... Just need to figure out the ferment. It was the first use of my keg fermenter, so maybe I need to dial something in a bit better.
Rye is an interesting ingredient. On one hand it lends a thick, chewy mouthfeel. Then it comes across as drying in the finish. I don't know that I would consider Munich as offsetting dryness, I've brewed some very dry beers with 90%+ Munich. I noticed in the recipe db that you add corn sugar to this recipe which would also dry the beer out. If you're trying to reduce dryness you might try changing that too.

Then again, if you like it I wouldn't bother changing the recipe to get better scores in competition. I was checking out your recipe because I plan to brew a pale ale with about 15% rye in the grist in the near future and wanted to see how our recipes compared.
bwarbiany

Re: IE Brew Co competition

Post by bwarbiany »

brahn wrote:I noticed in the recipe db that you add corn sugar to this recipe which would also dry the beer out. If you're trying to reduce dryness you might try changing that too.

Then again, if you like it I wouldn't bother changing the recipe to get better scores in competition. I was checking out your recipe because I plan to brew a pale ale with about 15% rye in the grist in the near future and wanted to see how our recipes compared.
Oops... That's an old version of the recipe. I didn't use corn sugar in this one.

But yeah, I like the beer, so I'm not that concerned. I'm not opposed or wed to brewing to style, and now that the brewery is actually located at my house I can brew often enough not to worry if I make a beer that I know just won't be used for comps :-)
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I entered my Rye PA in the Hangar 24 comp, but I have not received my score sheets yet. It was the only beer that I entered in that comp that did not take a gold medal. I loved it (sadly all 10 gallons are gone), but that does not mean anything in competition. The recipe is on my brew log page but I have not put it in the recipe database yet. It's called OMG Rye Pale Ale if you want to look it up here.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:I entered my Rye PA in the Hangar 24 comp, but I have not received my score sheets yet. It was the only beer that I entered in that comp that did not take a gold medal. I loved it (sadly all 10 gallons are gone), but that does not mean anything in competition. The recipe is on my brew log page but I have not put it in the recipe database yet. It's called OMG Rye Pale Ale if you want to look it up here.
Looks like a nicely balanced recipe... I think the Honey malt might be interesting to balance the Rye. How does the Victory play in there? I realized after trying to brew a beer like Fat Tire that I'm not a huge fan of "biscuit" flavors, but I've never even considered it in conjunction with Rye.
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Rye Pale Ale

Post by brahn »

This had turned into a Rye PA thread so I split it off. Here's what I'm thinking of doing. I bought a pound of Saphir hops and wanted to showcase them in something. It's supposed to be a new noble-type hop so I thought the earthy/floral/spicy flavors would go nicely with some rye. I'll enter whatever I brew into the DB, but this is just an idea for now. Comments/suggestions are welcome. :)

Recipe: Saphir Pale Ale
Style: 10A-American Ale-American Pale Ale

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 13.00 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 12.00 US gals
Volume Transferred: 11.00 US gals
Water Added: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 11.00 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 10.00 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.049 SG
Expected OG: 1.053 SG
Expected FG: 1.013 SG
Expected ABV: 5.3 %
Expected ABW: 4.2 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 35.3
Expected Color: 6.1 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 74.9 %
Mash Efficiency: 79.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables
US 2-Row Malt 17lb 7oz (79.1 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Rye Malt 3lb 6oz (15.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 40L Malt 1lb 4oz (5.6 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
US Magnum (12.1 % alpha) 30 g Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End
German Saphir (3.5 % alpha) 60 g Loose Pellet Hops used 30 Min From End
German Saphir (3.5 % alpha) 80 g Loose Pellet Hops used 10 Min From End
German Saphir (3.5 % alpha) 120 g Loose Pellet Hops used At turn off

Other Ingredients

Yeast: DCL US-05 (formerly US-56) SafAle

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (152F)
Step: Rest at 152 degF for 60 mins

Recipe Notes