simple Dunkelweizen

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Haemon

simple Dunkelweizen

Post by Haemon »

I've never made a recipe before, so I'm going to just copy this one I found on Tastybrew. It looks like an All-grain 5gal batch. I'm a partial mash brewer for now. According to this document I found on The Internet(TM), it's 2/3lbs DME to 1lb grain and 3/4lbs LME to 1lb grain.

I would love some input-- I have made like six beers so far, only three of which were worth drinking. Is this something a relatively unlucky novice can do?

6lbs German Wheat (4lbs Ireks Weizenbier DME)
4lbs German Munich (3.3lbs Munich LME)
1lbs CaraMunich (?)

0.5oz Hallertau @ 60min
0.5oz Tettnanger @ 30min

WLP Hefeweizen IV Yeast
lexuschris

Re: simple Dunkelweizen

Post by lexuschris »

Well, I just brewed my first Dunkel Weizenbock last weekend. I have not kegged this one yet, so I really don't have much to offer other than I read up a lot on Weizen, Dunkelweizen, Weizenbocks while making my recipe.

Your recipe sure seems in-line with recipes I've seen out there, and the ratios for DME & LME sound about right.

I'm pretty sure you can steep the Caramunich malt and add it to the boil.

I saw a lot of Hallertau & Tettnanager hops used in the beers, but not everyone agrees on late hop additions. Some just want to do a 60-minute addition, and hit about 15-20 IBU. Others like to put a little addition at 15 min for some flavor.. but it should not be strong. Your beer should be more about the malty goodness, and the hops are a gentle supporting role.

I've not used WLP380 yet (Hefeweizen IV) ... but the website says its large clove forward, with minimal banana esters.

Looks pretty good to me. :) Any other thoughts?
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
Haemon

Post by Haemon »

y'know, for some reason I didn't account for grains, I just did an all-extract conversion. I'm a partial, what was I thinking?

OK, so
3lbs Ireks Weizenbier DME
3.3lbs Munich LME
1lb CaraMunich to steep
1lb Wheat malt to steep
jward

Post by jward »

You want to steep wheat malt, but you can mini-mash it. It think the Ireks Weizenbier DME is wheat malt extract and you probably don't need the wheat malt.
ArrogantDan

Post by ArrogantDan »

I've used the WLP380 a few times with my Hefeweizen recipe. I like it a lot but experience has shown me that a fermentation temp. below 68 will produce more clove and above 68 will give you more banana esters. Good luck with the recipe.
Cheers
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

ArrogantDan wrote:experience has shown me that a fermentation temp. below 68 will produce more clove and above 68 will give you more banana esters. Cheers
Good tip :!:
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
Haemon

Post by Haemon »

That IS a good tip, but what if I wanted both?

Could I do a melange fermentation? Take half the batch and ferment it at 65, take the other half and ferment at 72, then mix the two?
jward

Post by jward »

Haemon wrote:That IS a good tip, but what if I wanted both?

Could I do a melange fermentation? Take half the batch and ferment it at 65, take the other half and ferment at 72, then mix the two?
I would use WLP300 if you want both. It has lots of both. If you want minimal of both then use WLP320 but you have to keep it in the optimum range around 68F. Higher and you get more banana, lower you get more clove. Sound familiar? :wink:
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Just kegged my weizenbock.

With WLP320 @ 66-F, it took my SG from 1.072 down to 1.011... Really hard for me to judge from hydrometer sample, so will have to report back in a few weeks. No noticable banana or clove, but the cara-aroma is pretty strong right now. Once it conditions a few weeks, will be easier to tell... Dang I hate waiting..
:cheers:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
jward

Post by jward »

I found some of the banana and clove esters in particular aged off a bit.
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

I had a dunkelweizen take 1 month in the bottle for the banana to come through. It lasted about 2-2.5 months and then the banana faded. The clove stayed throughout. It was wlp300 yeast.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
Haemon

Post by Haemon »

Well Eric, a couple of modifications were made but I have faith in the recipe you came up with. I'm brewing Monday morning, then in the afternoon I'll help Brett brew that High Sierra Pale. Thanks for your help!