Porter Recipes

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Yea, really. Though I don't drink them very often since I generally haven't cared for the ones I've tasted. I did buy a 6 of Black Butte a while ago and while I liked it better than most porters I've tried it still had a distinct mud/dirt quality that I don't care for. A lot of people love this style though, so I'm sure it's just something strange with my tastes. :)

Judging by the recipes posted in this thread, I'd say porter is very different from stout. The main thing that jumps out at me is there's nowhere near enough roast barley to be a stout, but the BU:GU ratio seems to be about half what I'd expect in a stout as well.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Brewing my porter up tomorrow (the weather is FINALLY cooperating ... hopefully it'll be ready in time.

I did take the M.O. down to 6.5 (subtracted 1.5 lbs) and added 1.5 lbs of brown malt.

Will post up results (so to speak) tomorrow late ...

Dan
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Well .. my Brown Porter is in the fermenter ... came in a 1.052 and is sitting nicely at 65 degrees waiting to kick off.

When will we have our taste test Robert?

Dan
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

My porter brew has been delayed until this coming weekend. I am contemplating some vanilla and/or oak chips (both soaked in bourbon?) in one half of the batch just for fun.

Dan - I would say we are looking at around late March or early April until I will be ready to share...

Cheers!