California Common?

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

SCBeerDude

California Common?

Post by SCBeerDude »

I'm interested in brewing a "steam beer" using lager yeast, but it seems like the California Lager yeasts do not allow fermentation temps over 70 degrees. My fermentation room (closet) stays constant at about 70-72 degrees, which is just a bit too high. I do not have the necessary set up (or room or spousal approval) for lagering. Can I still brew a California Common under these conditions? Thanks in advance.
backyard brewer

Re: California Common?

Post by backyard brewer »

Sure, but you really need to be able to lager the beer for the result you're looking for. the primary will be ok at that high of temp although not idea, a wet tee-shirt or water bath for the fermenter can knock those couple degrees off.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

+1 on the lagering.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
SCBeerDude

Post by SCBeerDude »

Thanks.

Hmm. . . the wet t shirt wick idea would get part of the job done. Can you lager after bottling or is lagering, by definition, something that occurs during secondary fermentation? It's fitting a carboy into the second fridge that creates a problem. . .
SCBeerDude

Post by SCBeerDude »

Thanks for the input and assistance, everyone.
Maynerd

Post by Maynerd »

cheap/effective water bath
I have a very cost effective fix for this. HomeDepot sells 20-25 Gallon party bucket for $7, takes up very little space (fits in the corner of my closet). A 7.5 gallon fermenting bucket sits perfectly in the center with six inches of space all around. Freeze 17oz water bottles and rotate those from the freezer to the party bucket. I am able to keep my temps low 60's by swapping out 3-4 frozen water bottles in the morning then after work. Rotate the bottles between the freezer and the bucket to eliminate wasting water.

Thanks to D.R. for the water bottle idea.
Hope this helps.