Janet's Brown Ale II

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

lexuschris

Janet's Brown Ale II

Post by lexuschris »

Great meeting tonight! Always a blast to talk with everyone over samples of various homebrew and learn what others are doing with their recipes, equipment & techniques! :beer: :beer: :beer:

The American Brown Ale I brought in the large green grolsh bottle was actually dry-hopped with Centennial hops, not the Amarillo that I stated in the meeting. My apologies. I reviewed the receipe I brewed off of for this one, and I had made a few changes from the article published in BYO. Here is what I came up with.

I have also posted the original recipe from BYO in our database as Janet's Brown Ale. I just adjusted the grain bill to get rid of the odd fractions, and adjusted the hop schedule so that I could use an even number of ounces of each hop: 2oz Centennial. 2oz Northern Brewer. 3oz Cascade. .. and I updated each hop for the AA% that I actually bought.

The day I came in to get my WLP001, they had sold the last vial. I debated between the California V and the Pacific Ale yeast, deciding upon California V (WLP#051) which I have not used before. I think the fruity aspects of this yeast came out well in this brew. :happybeer:

Also, this was my first time doing Mash Hops and Water Treatments. The mash hop was easy enough, and I'm not real sure how much that effects the end result. The additions I made to Irvine tap water was to raise the sulfates, sodium & total alkalinity to enhance hops & mouthfeel. I also think that is where a touch of the sour came in (from raising my sodium to 103ppm).

This beer is just a month since brew day, and I look forward to see how it matures over the next few weeks (if I can keep it from tapping out over Thanksgiving!). Many thanks for the kind comments & suggestions on this one!
:cheers:
Regards,
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
JonGoku

Re: Janet's Brown Ale II

Post by JonGoku »

Thanks for bringing it in Chris. I think it was my favorite beer at the meeting with second place going to the Rye IPA Brad brought in. I also enjoyed Brad's Cider and the Bruery's Hottenroth Berliner Weisse. Thanks all for sharing, next time I look forward to trying Jeremy's debacle brew (forget what style he actually said he brewed but the story was interesting enough) and Mike's "tasty" Alaskan porter. Also hopefully by then I'll have something brewed to share as well. If not, I'll bring in more of the Honey Blonde I brought to the September meeting.
Jon Image
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

This was a really good beer Chris. I think it was my favorite from the meeting too. Nice work!
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

JonGoku wrote: next time I look forward to trying Jeremy's debacle brew (forget what style he actually said he brewed but the story was interesting enough)
Well, the style was a Belgian Pale Ale... I kegged it before Thanksgiving... and waited...
Then I carbonated it just before Christmas... and waited....
I pulled a few tastes (hence the waiting) each time, and it seems to be getting worse....

My best approximation is that it tastes a bit spicy. Considering the circumstances of the mash, I'm not surprised, but I thought it might mellow a bit over time...

SInce I have 4.95 gallons left, I might just have to bring some to the next meeting... or maybe it will just be the "end of the night" beer.

If requested, I'll get the recipe from Justin, AKA socalcc.