pumpkin spice beer

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

tmath10

pumpkin spice beer

Post by tmath10 »

Hello everyone!

I just started brewing about 2 months ago and have made 3 different brews: amber, stout, and english brown. The next thing that I want is to make a harvest seasonal brew, something with pumpkin and spices (the fall seasonal from the Bruery, Autumn Maple I believe, spurred this one on). What type of spices and how much of each should I use? I was thinking like cinnamon and molasses, but I want some other flavors.

Cheers! :cheers:

Trevor
backyard brewer

Re: pumpkin spice beer

Post by backyard brewer »

Hi Trevor,

Welcome to the board. I've not made a pumpkin spice beer myself but I do enjoy them and I'm planning to brew one so i've done a little research. Generally speaking, the same spices you would use in a pumpkin pie are used. Typically cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger in a 1:1/2:1/4 ratio. Molasses won't hurt anything but it probably won't contribute a whole ton since it'll mostly ferment out.

As far as the pumpkin goes, you can't use it unless you mash it. Some people have used the canned pumpkin, others buy baking pumpkins (don't use Jack-O-Lantern ones) and bake, smash and mash them. Most people agree that it contributes bragging rights more than any real flavor since it's mostly converted to sugar from starch and fermented away and the spices are far too over-powering to notice the delicate pumpkin character.

Robert (Brew Captain) made an excellent pumpkin spice beer quite a few years back, hopefully he'll chime in.
jward

Post by jward »

If you have the desire to step up to a 'mini-mash' for a pumpkin ale you might consider stepping up to a full mash. It's much easier then most think. See Denny Brew for some information to consider. You really get a lot more options on wort characteristics with all-grain.
tmath10

Post by tmath10 »

wow.... thanks a lot, guys! that's a lot to digest. Thanks for all that info. What does one need for a mash? I don't think I have any specific things for a mash. I've been doing extract/grain only beers. They've been pretty good. How complicated is doing a mash?

I want to join the BrewCommune Group. When's the next group meeting?
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

The next official meeting is not until the third Tuesday in November. On the even months, we typically have a brew day at someone's house so those are not made public. If/when you join, you'll have access to those details.