Hoppy Amber - Which Hops?

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Hoppy Amber - Which Hops?

Post by brahn »

I'm looking to re-brew the Hoppy Amber I brewed last year (recipe), but I want to change up the finishing hops. Last year it was 50/50 Amarillo and US Hallertau, and I brewed it once with 100% Chinook (yum!)

I've got a bunch of hops and I'm trying to figure out what combination sounds the best. Currently I'm leaning towards Columbus/Willamette. The hops I've got available are: Chinook, Columbus, Centennial, Willamette, Saaz, US Hallertau, Mt. Hood, Spalt Select, Cascade. I could easily get Summit from The Bruery Provisions, which I was also thinking of doing. I wish they had Simcoe, as that would probably seal the deal with a Columbus/Simcoe blend.

So ... what combination would you go with?
brianc

Re: Hoppy Amber - Which Hops?

Post by brianc »

I've used Centennial as a finishing and Columbus as a dry-hop a few times and have always been happy with the combination.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Brent, which combo did you go with, and how did it turn out?

Would you choose differently next time around?
:cheers:
-LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I went with Centennial and Columbus, but unfortunately the nagging infection I've had got this entire batch. It basically all got dumped... :(

I guess if I were to do things differently, I'd not let it get infected.