Help on gravity readings please

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

JonGoku

Help on gravity readings please

Post by JonGoku »

JonGoku wrote:My revised math would be (15x2)-4 = 26 (22oz bottles) + 1 16.9oz (500ml) bottle for a total of 4.6 gallons. I didn't account for evaporated water during boiling, so when you get through with adding the extract volume subtract the evaporated water and the lost beer from my first hydrometer reading (4 days after pitch), the trub, and the last bit that tiny bit left in the bottling bucket (used for final hydrometer reading). I think 4.6 gallons is accurate.
dhempy wrote:Well you learned one thing already ... filling bigger bottles requires less sanitizing / capping :lol:

Your math sounds about right ... and 4.6 gallons sounds about right ... don't worry about volumes so much .. what is more important is your gravities (in terms of hitting flavor / style profiles). Volumetrics will work out over time ... I figure if I'm withing a couple of quarts or so by kegging time that I'm doing well.

Dan
I split this off of my other thread on Mini Tap's as it's not related, and I'd like to get more info on it.

The target from the box was, OG: 1.056 FG: 1.013 SRM: 11 IBU: 47 ALCOHOL BY VOLUME: 5.7%

What I got was, OG 1.059, FG was 1.020

How does this translate into success, failure, ABV etc?
Jon Image
brew captain

Re: Help on gravity readings please

Post by brew captain »

~ 67% attenuation (not too bad given it was an extract batch)

~ 5.2% ABV

~ The residual sweetness may be a bit high for the style (pale ale as I recall)

You may declare SUCCESS once you get buzzed off of your first batch of homebrew!!

Cheers!
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

brew captain wrote:~ 67% attenuation (not too bad given it was an extract batch)

~ 5.2% ABV

You may declare SUCCESS once you get buzzed off of your first batch of homebrew!!

Cheers!
Ditto - congrats on your first batch. In 2 weeks time you'll be enjoying the fruits of your labor.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

brew captain wrote:~ 67% attenuation (not too bad given it was an extract batch)

~ 5.2% ABV

Cheers!
Thanks for doing the math for me. What method do you use to figure out the ABV? There were a couple of different ways I saw online.
Rezzin wrote:Ditto - congrats on your first batch. In 2 weeks time you'll be enjoying the fruits of your labor.
If I primed at 1AM on 1/16, and took my first sip at 6:30PM on 1/20, any guesses on how flat the beer will be? I'm looking forward to having it once it's conditioned nicely, but it would be nice to have a sneak peek at the meeting on how it will turn out. :D
Jon Image
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

After less than a week at ~75d, I don't think it'll be carbonated much but who knows? I say pop open a bottle and see for yourself - you have plenty more to enjoy and the beers keep getting better. It's all part of the learning experience. It may be a little sweet from the residual priming sugar and under carbonated but you'll then know what a beer under those conditions tastes like.

Oh yeah, do yourself a big favor and take a few bottles (a 6pack if you can manage!) and stash them in the back of a closet somewhere to be forgotten. It's always a nice surprise to stumble across some old homebrew you had forgotten and see what time and conditioning has done to it.

:D
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I used to start cracking a bottle after 3-4 days and they'd usually be pretty well carbonated by that time. They'd usually be fully carbonated in 5-10 days. It depends a lot on temperature and how much priming sugar you used.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

brahn wrote:I used to start cracking a bottle after 3-4 days and they'd usually be pretty well carbonated by that time. They'd usually be fully carbonated in 5-10 days. It depends a lot on temperature and how much priming sugar you used.
Even better!
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

JonGoku wrote: Thanks for doing the math for me. What method do you use to figure out the ABV? There were a couple of different ways I saw online.
Pro Mash...

Cheers!
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

JonGoku wrote:Thanks for doing the math for me. What method do you use to figure out the ABV? There were a couple of different ways I saw online.
Like BC wrote, Pro Mash. I use Beer Smith, which is just as good. If you just want a quick estimate:
(OG - FG) x 131

In your case 1.059 - 1.020 = .039
.039 x 131 = 5.1(% ABV)

And that will get you pretty close. Brewing software will do a better job though.
Kevin
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

1.020 is probably a bit high for the style, but I can say that just about every novice brewer (including my first few batches) has trouble hitting the final gravity at first...

Work on pitching enough yeast and ensuring that you get nice constant temps during fermentation, and it will go a long way towards getting the right attenuation.

But 1.020 should still taste fine :D
Brad
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Thanks for the help and encouragement. Can't wait till it carbonates.
Jon Image
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Out of curiosity Jon, did you taste the beer when you bottled? How did it look, smell, taste? When I keg I always grab a pint glass and fill it up after I grab my hydrometer sample. Since I have two carboys that means two pints to evaluate and I am usually found in my kitchen buzzed off of under carbonated homebrew at 10:00am in the morning! I digress. My point is that I always taste the beer because if anything is wrong with it (outside of tasting green), I want to stop the process and dump the batch before things progress any further. Especially with bottling. I have sampled some questionable tasting beer right before I bottled 10 gallons of it thinking that the funky flavor I detected will go away after a couple weeks in the bottle, but it doesn't. Sometimes it could be that your recipe did not work out well or you over did it on something and not contamination. I am sure a lot of us have made some real dogs and Dhempy is just about to do so with some chili peppers :beer: :mrgreen: . I made a beer I called Schnosberry Ale once and it had raspberry puree, orange marmalade, cinnamon sticks and apple concentrate in it. It tasted like crap, but I went ahead and bottled it anyway. Well after a month it still tasted like crap!

Lesson learned...

Cheers!
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

brew captain wrote:I am sure a lot of us have made some real dogs and Dhempy is just about to do so with some chili peppers :beer: :mrgreen: .

:lol:

Well, I wouldn't make it for myself ... it was a request from a neighbor for a Cinco de Mayo Party. To be sure, I'll be bringing along some other quality brew as redemption!

But I'll be sure to save some samples for you BC!

Dan
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

brew captain wrote:My point is that I always taste the beer because if anything is wrong with it (outside of tasting green), I want to stop the process and dump the batch before things progress any further. Especially with bottling.
Jon,

I agree that you should taste prior to bottling. But for the early batches, nothing should be dumped unless it tastes outright foul. Tasting before bottling will really help you to learn the process and what's going on, but it takes time to calibrate your taste buds to warm, flat beer.
Brad
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

brew captain wrote:Out of curiosity Jon, did you taste the beer when you bottled? How did it look, smell, taste? When I keg I always grab a pint glass and fill it up after I grab my hydrometer sample. Since I have two carboys that means two pints to evaluate and I am usually found in my kitchen buzzed off of under carbonated homebrew at 10:00am in the morning! I digress. My point is that I always taste the beer because if anything is wrong with it (outside of tasting green), I want to stop the process and dump the batch before things progress any further. Especially with bottling. I have sampled some questionable tasting beer right before I bottled 10 gallons of it thinking that the funky flavor I detected will go away after a couple weeks in the bottle, but it doesn't. Sometimes it could be that your recipe did not work out well or you over did it on something and not contamination. I am sure a lot of us have made some real dogs and Dhempy is just about to do so with some chili peppers :beer: :mrgreen: . I made a beer I called Schnosberry Ale once and it had raspberry puree, orange marmalade, cinnamon sticks and apple concentrate in it. It tasted like crap, but I went ahead and bottled it anyway. Well after a month it still tasted like crap!

Lesson learned...

Cheers!
Sorry I've been a little scarce. It's the 2nd to last weekend we have to run around doing errands before we have our baby.

I did indeed taste the beer when I bottled it and true, I'm not quite attuned to warm flat beer, but it tasted alright comparatively. It had a very strong sense of hoppyness in both flavor and aroma. It's not quite as smooth as I was hoping, but perhaps this is something that mellows out with conditioning. I'm a total noob as you know so I have no clue what areas of the flavor etc change with conditioning. Oddly enough I had some draft Blue Moon White Belgian yesterday and I was surprised by the similarities it had with my own homebrew.

I pulled up some of the video I had taken from my bottling day and perhaps my gravity was closer to 1.018, or at least it looks so from the video (see the still pic below). The foam makes it a bit tough to tell for sure, but this gives you a least a little bit of an idea of how it looks. I did use the final dregs close to the trub to fill the test jar though so that may account for a bit more cloudiness then the rest. Oh, and what I taste tested was what you see below after I had finished taking my reading.
Final Gravity.jpg
Final Gravity.jpg (21.53 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
Cheers!
Jon Image