Bottle Storage Temperature

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bsmith

Bottle Storage Temperature

Post by bsmith »

I share a house and have limited storage space and the space is on the warmer side (72-75°), so 2 weeks ago (after bottling) I decided to store my IPA in the garage. The temperature range in the garage is between 48-56°. I tried a beer last night and it tastes great, except it barely has any carbonation. In hindsight, maybe I should of just kept the bottles in the house a couple weeks to get carbonated, then put them in the garage, but here I wonder.

The questions are: should I bring the bottles in for a couple weeks to carbonate, then put them back out in the garage? Would it mess with the beer to have these roller-coaster temps? Should I just leave them out there and give them more time? And finally, what issues are associated with storing ales in a cold temperature range?

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Cheers,
Bob
Last edited by bsmith on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Hi Bob. Moving them back to warmer temps to carbonate is really you're only option. while roller coastering the beer isn't great for it, it's not going to kill it and you're not talking about 85*+ and then back again so it'll be fine.

Storing ales at that temp (once carbed) will not hurt them at all. IME it tends to smooth them out a little.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I think you'll be OK bringing in the bottles in to warm up. As long as there is residual sugar and viable yeast, you should be OK. Flavor control because of a slightly higher temp range isn't anything to fret over. I think your biggest concern is viable yeast.

Good luck.

Dan
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

dhempy wrote:I think your biggest concern is viable yeast.
I agree, especially in an IPA. Hopefully a couple weeks at 75F or so will do the trick. Just be patient with it and let the carbonation happen.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's