What would you do? - WLP810 question

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Rezzin

What would you do? - WLP810 question

Post by Rezzin »

I have no problems controlling ferment temps in the summer with my extra fridge but the winter poses a different challenge.

I'm admittedly somewhat of a temperature nazi when I brew (in the summer mostly). So here is my dilemma. I'm trying to decide if it would be better to ferment in the garage (temps will be in the low to mid 40's at night in the up coming week) inside the fridge OR ferment in the house in the spare room which is probably mid 60's or so at night and low 70's during the day. This spare room also happens to be the nursery to our 5mo old girl and I'm pretty sure my wife won't be too thrilled about it.

I'll be using WLP810 which likes 58-65. I'd like to ferment around 60.

Do you think the thermal activity created by the fermentation process will be enough to let me just stick this thing in the garage fridge and let it go or should I try a water bath in the babies room? Option #2 is the least preferred method but I'm sure I can swing it if it would be better.

I'm worried that it'll get a little too cold in the garage.

Newbie question I know but it feels like I'm starting from scratch again after a 6mo break.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Why not use a water bath in the garage? I assume the daytime temps in there are higher than the low to mid 40's and the water bath would give you a nice buffer to prevent the big temperature swings. If it's still too cold you could use an aquarium heater to raise the temp.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Water bath advocate here...

Cheers!
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

I'll give the water bath in the garage option a shot. Funny, water bath IN the garage never crossed my mind. I hope it doesn't rain too much this weekend!
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
lars

Post by lars »

I vote for water bath... a few things I have read has pointed towards attempting to keep your temps steady even if they are a bit out of range for the yeast.
Shut up and brew