Oaking in a keg

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Rezzin

Oaking in a keg

Post by Rezzin »

I recently kegged a brown which came out pretty nice. I was thinking it might do well with a little medium toast hungarian oak cubes - maybe 1oz for a few weeks. Any problems with doing this in the keg?

I would put them in a muslin bag and give everything a quick soak in some starsan. Add a few sanitized marbles to keep things submerged and pull when I think it tastes right. I don't see anything wrong with this but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything here.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

If it's already carbonated I would guess that it would foam a lot when you put the wood in. It will create lots of nucleation sites for the co2 and you could end up with quite a mess on your hands. Otherwise I don't think you'd have any problems.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

brahn wrote:If it's already carbonated I would guess that it would foam a lot when you put the wood in. It will create lots of nucleation sites for the co2 and you could end up with quite a mess on your hands. Otherwise I don't think you'd have any problems.
I didn't think of that but i'm hoping I'll be ok. I've dry hopped in the keg before and never had a problem with it creating a mess so hopefully the oak won't be much different.

If I don't hear any "NO DON'T DO THAT" posts, I'll try it this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to bring over some nice samples for the Dec meeting.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum