dividing yeast

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

snickerrby

dividing yeast

Post by snickerrby »

Hey all,

I'm about to make my first all grain batch today. 10 gallons. i made my starter yeast a few days ago but have not realized that i have to ferment using two carboys instead of one larger fermt tank. i don't know how well i can split the yeast in half and am worried about cleaniness issue with so much exposure to the air while trying to pitch it. anyone think i could just add it in my boil tank, after i cool the wort obviously, mix it up and then drain it to my carboy's. or should i stick with trying to divide the each and pitch separatly?

Cheers fellas,

Rob
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I've just tried to evenly divide it between the carboys when I used carboys... Just swirl it up really well so the yeast is well mixed into solution and pour as evenly as you can. Even if you're 60/40 or 65/35, you'll be fine.

Your method of putting it into the cool wort will work as long as you mix it well, too. I've never tried that one, though. You may want to alternate carboys pouring the wort in, though, just to make sure.

I prefer bulk fermentation to multiple carboys. I brew 15 gallons at a time and ferment in a large 20 gal wine fermenter from Morebeer. It costs about $40 with lid, so it's pretty cheap.
Brad
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

I agree, I think it would be easiest to just divide the yeast between two filled carboys. If you did it in the boil kettle before draining off to carboys, you really won't know how much was added to each carboy.

If you are worried about exposure, do what I do. Get a few tea light candles and light them around you when pitching your yeast. Not only can you chant while doing this, you'll feel better knowing that hot air rises. I actually do this anytime I'm dealing with yeast, sampling from the carboy, etc. It's probably way overkill but it makes me feel better and I've yet to have an infection.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Hope things went well snickerrby.

On Dividing yeast .. I've done it splitting between 2 carboys ... I typically come off a stirplate .. so I just give a swirl before pitching ... I've never bothered with getting exact .. just pitch about half to one, airlock, move the funnel, pitch the rest, airlock, and go. I've done a number of batches that way with no issues ever. If I was really paranoid, I think I'd split into to sterilized flasks ... and try to get as even as I could that way ... but I think that is overkill. The biggest concern is more likely your pitching rate ... make sure you've got enough yeasties to get a good jump on 10 gallons. After that, relax and have a homebrew or 3.

Dan