Canned some starter wort from the last runnings...

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brew captain

Canned some starter wort from the last runnings...

Post by brew captain »

I canned up six quarts of starter wort from the last runnings of my Witbier. I was reading a strong 1.022 on the refractometer. I understand that gravity is fine for making starters because the requirements for yeast reproduction are different from those of tasty beer. Others say to make the starter commensurate with the beer you are going to brew to acclimate the yeasts. Since I have six quarts of the punky stuff I am going to side with the former...

Anybody else use their puny, final runnings for starter wort? What was your canning procedure?

Oh, and if you have a moment will one of you bastards please answer me on the post about "how do you mill your wheat"...

Cheers!
Rezzin

Re: Canned some starter wort from the last runnings...

Post by Rezzin »

Brew Captain wrote:I canned up six quarts of starter wort from the last runnings of my Witbier. I was reading a strong 1.022 on the refractometer. I understand that gravity is fine for making starters because the requirements for yeast reproduction are different from those of tasty beer. Others say to make the starter commensurate with the beer you are going to brew to acclimate the yeasts. Since I have six quarts of the punky stuff I am going to side with the former...

Anybody else use their puny, final runnings for starter wort? What was your canning procedure?

Oh, and if you have a moment will one of you bastards please answer me on the post about "how do you mill your wheat"...

Cheers!
I've been using Jamil's yeast pitch calculator to help give me a ballpark of how much yeast to pitch on my beers. Since he recommends 1.030-1.040 gravity starters, that's what I make.

A starter is better than no starter!
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I make a special all-grain starter with all 2-row rather than second runnings. I make five gallons at a time and I shoot for 1.035. After mashing and sparging, I boil for 30 minutes then fill my mason jars and a little yeast nutrient to each one. I put the jars in the pressure cooker for 20 minutes at 15-20 psi.

1.022 should work fine. Oxygenate it or put it on a stirplate.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's