bottling issues

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Otterbaub

Post by Otterbaub »

when you say Active yeast. Do you mean Active Dry Yeast or Fresh Yeast?
Beer is like bread just in different ratios.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I believe he means yeast that's still alive.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Otterbaub wrote:when you say Active yeast. Do you mean Active Dry Yeast or Fresh Yeast?
Just yeast really. It's not uncommon for beers that have been aged for a while in secondary to not carbonate if some yeast sediment is picked up or if new yeast isn't added.

Frankly, since you can keg, I'd just force carb and pressure fill and never worry about sugar again!
jward

Post by jward »

A pressure tested keg can still leak. I find that some of my kegs need to be pressurized to seal. Once they have pressure they are good to go even when the pressure is reduced. I think the lid and it's O ring probably need to get put into a better position.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Otterbaub wrote:when you say Active yeast. Do you mean Active Dry Yeast or Fresh Yeast?
Maltbarley answered for me .. I did mean yeast that is alive (preferably from your fermentation ... otherwise, something like BrewCap'n suggested ... the Belgians frequently add new yeast and sugar at bottling!).

Dan
Otterbaub

Post by Otterbaub »

alright good to know guys
thanks
Beer is like bread just in different ratios.