sanitizing caps

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

huntfisher

sanitizing caps

Post by huntfisher »

last batch I sanitized my caps and boiled them. This new book states that water destroys the oxygen caps and hot water breaks the seal. So, it insists that caps that are packaged and sealed should be capped right outta the package. I am worried that my beer may be oxidized, so I am contemplating about skipping my usual sanitation of the caps, but it seems that many sources state that everything that touches beer should be sanitized. What's y'all opinion. Man, my last batch I was not stressed out, but this one I am too stressed. Damn, I need a homebrew.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I always soak my caps in sanitizer before capping.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I use sanitizer as well (even with O2 caps). A quick dip is all you really need (30 seconds). Liquid activates the O2 scavenging properties of the cap.

Dan
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Just like the rest, I put my caps into a small glass and fill it with sanitizer before I bottle. I've never used the oxygen absorbing caps so I can't comment on that.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I sanitize them, usually boiling. I use O2 caps, but that's just because I have them. I use a Beer Gun so O2 introduction is a minimum.