Flat Bottles

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Flat Bottles

Post by brahn »

This summer I brewed and bottled an 11.5% barleywine that I'm pretty happy with. The only problem is that the bottles are all flat. I added a packet of yeast at bottling and more sugar than I used on the same volume of my RIS. It's been about 4 months since I bottled it so I've pretty much given up hope on it carbonating in the bottles. I'll probably brew this again now that I'm kegging, but with malt & hops prices where there are this will be a much more expensive brew.

Any suggestions on saving the existing batch?

I'm thinking about purging a 2L bottle with co2 and then pouring a few bottles in there and hitting it with the carbonator cap, or dumping them all into a keg and force carbing but I think this would introduce way too much oxygen. The carbonator cap would be fine to get some carbed to drink right away, but isn't a very good longer term solution.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

I have used a pipette to remove a fraction from each Bottle and then add Back the same amount of fresh wort (DME) and fresh yeast. Total pain in the ass, But it saved the Batch I am happy to report.

For a nice and gnarly Barleywine it is proBaBly worth the effort.

Cheers!