Lager yeast - how much dry do I need to avoid a starter?

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Lager yeast - how much dry do I need to avoid a starter?

Post by bwarbiany »

I'm lazy, and have been using dry yeast whenever possible to avoid making starters. Since I"m doing 15-gallon batches, a starter would probably take several days to an entire week of stepping up from a vial of liquid to be enough. At the cost of dry yeast, I say screw it and buy the dry.

But so far, that's only been for ales. I know pitch rates need to be higher for lagers.

Dustin and I are going to be brewing our first lager soon, probably a marzen/oktoberfest. I'm thinking Saflager W-34/70. For 15 gallons, can I expect to get by with three packets? I think I'd be willing to go as high as doubling that number, buying 6 of the 11.5g packs (probably comparable in price to making a starter for that size).

Thoughts?
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

For 15 gallons at 1.055, you would need between 5 and 6 packets of dry yeast in a lager. I have never tried a dried lager yeast, but I have not heard very good things about them. I haven't used dried yeast for a long time because I like the variety of liquid yeasts and I don't mind making starters. To me, it's all part of the brewing process. I know you and Brent have made some great beers using US-05, so may try that in some upcoming beers.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's