bottling adding sugar and gravity ?

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

huntfisher

bottling adding sugar and gravity ?

Post by huntfisher »

I am doing a milk stout that came with poor instructions on adding the lactose. The owners said to add lactose during the bottling phase, but other people state that it should be added during the boil( too late for that). Are both ways fine? Anybody know what the affects are of adding lactose during bottling . Also, should the lactose and corn sugur be boiled with a cup of water.

Also, my orignal gravity was 1.047 and final gravity was 1.018 (taken one day ago). Is there going to be problems bottling at 1.018. Unfortanantly, I do not have time to repitch yeast .
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

I can't help you with the lactose but as far as your FG is concerned - how long has it been since you pitched your yeast? Try giving it another week or so to see the gravity drops at all - you can also try warming it up a tad (but staying within the proper range) to see if the yeast wake up a little. I typically give my ales 2 -3 weeks in the primary before kegging.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

it has been 11 days
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

huntfisher wrote:it has been 11 days
let it for for a few more days and check again - it may drop a few more points.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Boil the lactose in a small amount of water, then add it to the beer. Allow to ferment 2-3 days before botting, and you'll be fine.

Don't add it at bottling, or you'll end up with bottle bombs.

What was your recipe?
Brad
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

doing that now. I guess yeast can still turn lactose to co2 but it does not turn to alcohol.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I think I may be incorrect on this. I though lactose was partially fermentable, but it appears to be unfermentable by saccharomyces. So you may be able to add it at bottling...

I even checked into the chemistry-- lactose is glucose + galactose, but it requires the enzyme lactase (present in animals / humans) to break it down. Not even heat will split lactose into its component parts.

So you probably don't have to worry about bottle bombs. My bad.
Brad