storing bottles for carbonation

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

huntfisher

storing bottles for carbonation

Post by huntfisher »

Is it okay to store bottles sideways so I can put more beer in my small fridge during carnonation or does this affect carbonation?
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

The only thing I can think of that might be affected would be if you're using O2 absorbing caps ... I'm not sure they would be as effective if they were constantly covered by your beer. Anyone know for sure?

Why in the fridge? Is this a lager of some sort? Or are you just keeping temps in the same ferm range? I typically find a closet in the house to let bottles carbonate for a few weeks (when I bottle that is).

Dan
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I have the same questionas Dan; why the fridge? Carbonating in the bottle should be at room temp ~ 70* even for a lager. If fact, it's not all that uncommon to introduce a small amount of neutral ale yeast to your priming sugar before bottling a lager.

Anyway, just curious.
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

I am placing them in the frige since it will be hard to keep them at right temp or between 62-70 (farm stout instructions) since at night the temp wil be a 10+ degree swing, so I am storing most of them in a frige and the rest in an icechest. I suppose right now it would be ok for room, but when it hits a hundred, then it would be too hot. I submerged my fermentation bucket in cold water and the temp was at constant 66-68 degree, cant imagine the temp without submerging the fermentation bucket.

I am using brewers best caps, and I think those are the oxgenating ones.I better investigate this some more.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

huntfisher wrote:I am placing them in the frige since it will be hard to keep them at right temp or between 62-70 (recipe instructions) since at night the temp wil be a 10+ degree swing, so I am storing most of them in a frige and the rest in an icechest. I suppose right now it would be ok for room, but when it hits a hundred, then it would be too hot. I submerged my fermentation bucket in cold water and the temp was at constant 66-68 degree, cant imagine the temp without submerging the fermentation bucket.

I am using brewers best caps, and I think those are the oxgenating ones.I better investigate this some more.
Fermentation temp is a lot more important than carbonation temp. If you can keep them in an interior closet where the temp doesn't get about 80, you're probably fine.
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Two weeks at room temp to carbonate, then you can put them in the fridge. If you store the bottles on their side any sediment will fall to the bottom side so when you take them out to drink them you may upset that sediment and get that in your glass when you pour. If you use the oxy absorbing caps, I don't think it will be a problem. Those caps are activated when they get wet, so they should work the same as, or maybe even better, with the bottles on the side.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's