Large quantity brewing, "aging" time...

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

dhempy wrote:Is that just regular, plain, unflavored, buy at the grocery store gelatin or something special?

Dan
I used to buy gelatin from B3, but now I just buy the unflavored gelatin at the grocery store.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Just a report on the gelatin.

I kegged the IPA last Saturday. I added gelatin at kegging, and began chilling/carbonating immediately.

By Wednesday, the beer was carbonated. By Thursday, it was crystal clear. And once it was clear, it tasted exactly how I intended. I had tasted it over the few days in between, it it clearly was "rough" at the beginning and came together properly rather quickly.

For a 1.071 IPA, I wasn't sure how quickly it would come together (it was 4 weeks brew->keg). But it's probably one of the first beers I've ever had that has cleared and tasted correct this early in the process.

So it seems that in addition to clarity, gelatin accomplishes some of the same "filtering" aspects that Tyler mentioned. For those of you who like to improve turn-around time (and for some of us who don't brew as often as we'd like, it's important), I'd suggest giving it a try.
Brad
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Great news Brad and thanks for the update. I think I'll give it a try with my 10 gallons of Kolsch (I'm ignoring the reinheitsgebot for this one!)

I'm going to use a bright tank as well.

Brad N: I also want to set up to use CO2 to push beer from the carboys in the ferm freezer to a tank. I've heard that you use 2 lbs psi ... ... but do you use a stopper or one of those red carboy hoods (presumably with a second hole)? I'll have to remove the carboy handles to use the hood but I suppose that the hood is safer (excess pressure can more easily escape?!?). If the stopper is used, I suppose that you have to hold it in place?,

Thanks.

Dan