Yeast for Lagers

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

dhempy

Yeast for Lagers

Post by dhempy »

OK .. I'm "finally" stepping up to lagers.

So my question is around yeast starters for lagers. Seems like I've read that starters are about 4x larger than for ales (I usually pitch a 1L starter for ales and I'm seeing 4-6L recommended). Is this typical of what you guys typically do (Brad and Derrin ... I know that you guys brew lagers)? Assuming that the starters are that large, what are the particulars:

1) Do you step up from a smaller starter or do everything in a single batch?
2) How far ahead do you start the starter?
3) I assume that you "start" at optimum fermenting temp, but do you crash cool (to precipitate) and pitch only the cake? If not, does the starter need to reflect the lager style (that is a lot of liquid being added).

Any other lagering tips to share? I'll go back and read the diacetyl rest post.

I don't mean to slight any other lager brewers .. my pea brain only recalls that Derrin and Brad are experienced lager brewers.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Hey Dan,

I usually make a one gallon starter for my lagers for a five gallon batch. I will usually make the starter one week in advance of brew day. I allow the starter to finish out on the stir plate, then I cold crash it a day or two before brewing so I can decant to the liquid off and only pitch the yeast, not the entire starter. I will generally plan out a series of lagers so I can keep repitching the yeast. Another thing I try to do is to transfer as little trub as possible into the fermenter. I don't do d-rests. If you pitch enough yeast and you pitch cold, you won't need one in my opinion (I have several medals for my lagers that suggest that this approach works). Let me know if you have any other questions.

Brad
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Thanks Brad.

I recall that you're not a d-rest kind of guy. Does one need an Erlenmeyer flask or do you think I could make a starter in a 1 gallon jug?

Dan
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I'd think you could use a jug, but it may be hard to find one with a flat bottom so that the stir bar will stay in place if you're using a stir plate.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

I use a large glass vase I picked up from Walmart for like $8. I saw it posted on another board and it works great.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I have a 4L flask that I use for my lager starters. Works great on the stirplate.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I do it the same way Brad does, but I usually just use a 2L starter, only because that's the biggest flask I have and the stir bar won't work in my 1G jug.

But I still ferment out, chill and pour-off like Brad.