water to grain ratio and efficiency question

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Rezzin

water to grain ratio and efficiency question

Post by Rezzin »

Will I get better efficiency using a higher water/grain ratio when mashing with more grains? I typically get 75-78% efficiency brewing most standard gravity beers. I just want to make sure I can get my next brew to fit in my tun.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I don't think I understand your question. A higher water/grain ratio would mean more water per pound of grain and would make your mash take up more space. Do you mean a lower water/grain ratio? Either way, I don't think the water/grain ratio has much impact on efficiency but it will supposedly impact fermentability. In practice, I've never noticed a difference in fermentability due to the water/grain ratio.

If you want to know if everything will fit in your tun, here's a good resource:

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Scroll down the page a bit and you'll see the "Can I Mash It?" calculator.

I also generally get lower efficiency on my bigger beers. I'm pretty sure that's because I collect the same amount of wort in my kettle regardless of the amount of grain. With more grain it doesn't get as thoroughly rinsed so you get lower efficiency. I suppose I could collect more wort and boil longer, but I just add grain to compensate. That's how it works on my system, yours may be different. On my system I'd expect 79% efficiency on a 1.055 beer and maybe more like 70% on a 1.100 beer.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Yeah I'm using the calculator to make sure everything fits.

I was just curious what changing the water/grain ratio does as I've never really gave it much though. I just change the numbers to make sure my dough-in quarts or gallons come out to an 'even' number to make measuring easier. I was just curious if having a thinner or thicker mash made much of a difference.

The Flanders I'm doing will be using 25.5# of grain assuming 70% efficiency. As long as the lid doesn't take up too much space I think I'll be just fine.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum