Going for my first run, need some tips

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

huntfisher

Going for my first run, need some tips

Post by huntfisher »

My extract instruction recommends boiling 2 to 2.5 gallons of water. But, would it be ok to use 5 gallons of water to boil if you have a7.5 gallon pot. Would this alter anything. Also, Williams brewing states that for a 5 gallon batch that you should add 5.5 gallons since water will evaporate, is this true or should I just play it safe with 5 gallons.

Also, is one step cleaner good enough to sanitize everything with or should I just use starsan. I am fermenting in buckets.

The is for a 5 gallon batch
lars

Post by lars »

Your beer will thank you for doing a full boil (5.5 or even 6 gallons). You will have some evaporation during your boil, .5 gallon in an hour seems a bit low though... I usually boil off more than that (hence 6 gallons). You should add half of your extract late in the boil, say last 15 minutes, and half at the beginning of your boil. This will help you avoid some of the "off" flavors associated with extract beers. You need half of the extract early to help your hop utilization.

I think you answered your own question regarding One Step. It is a cleaner, not a sanitizer. Personally, I think the biggest mistake many beginning brewers make is not being sanitary enough. You need to both clean AND sanitize your post boil equipment. Products that claim to do both typically don't do either very well. Bottom line - use the Star San especially if you already have it.
Shut up and brew
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Lars has it right ...

You can figure somewhere around 15% evap per hour for the boil. So 6 gallons x .15 = .9 gallons of loss.

Also, make sure that your TOTAL Volume is 6 gallons (or close to it) ... that doesn't mean 6 gallons of water necessarily ... but 6 gallons less the volume of your extract. But here's the thing ... you can top up (with distilled) or boil a little longer so if necessary.

Dan
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Doing a full wort boil is a great for extract beers if you have a big enough pot. Another thing that will change if you do that, however, is your hop extraction. Since the boil will be less saturated because of the additional water, you will be able extract more bitterness from your hops. This is not always a good thing if you are trying to stay within a certain style. Download BeerSmith or ProMash and play around with them to see which program works best for you and to see how doing a full wort boil will change your hop utilization. I think you can use both programs free for 30 days.

Brad
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

it is a milk stout
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Lars wrote:Personally, I think the biggest mistake many beginning brewers make is not being sanitary enough.
Sanitation is important. But IMHO the biggest mistake many beginning (and intermediate, and probably myself included) is not controlling fermentation temps. The brewing of the beer, especially with extract, is almost trivial. The fermenting is the hard part, and the best we brewers can do is create the right conditions.

Anything that a new brewer can do to keep the temps in check will do WONDERS for a beer. I'd recommend to new brewers to use dry yeast (maybe even 2 packs, so you don't need to make a starter), and to control fermentation temps. Those two are the primary concerns that I would have.
Brad
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

bwarbiany wrote: But IMHO the biggest mistake many beginning (and intermediate, and probably myself included) is not controlling fermentation temps.
+1
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

Ferm. temps are key!

If you use a big storage tub be forewarned that they probably won't handle the weight of the water that's needed so I'd recommend a big Igloo ice chest. I have a spare one if you need that'll hold 2 carboy's or buckets. I've never done the ice bottles as I focus on Belgian Strong's so I'm not a resource on that way but it works.

Some of the guy's have done fermentation chambers that work well. Some others have big commercial reefer's or fridge's to control temps. One has his own bruery with 15 and 30 barrel glycol jacked conicals!

I can help out with a fermentation room with a/c units if you ever get serious (just ask BackyardBrewer about beer geek stuff) about temp. control....
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.