Ummm.. ok so it's been a while since I've used WLP001

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Rezzin

Ummm.. ok so it's been a while since I've used WLP001

Post by Rezzin »

But I could have sworn when I made my starters before, they were all creamy yellow. I made this 26 hours ago and it still looks like not much is going on. I used a vial of WLP001 which expired last month but I figured "it's only 1 month past it's prime and I'm making a starter - no problem".

I might have to pick up a new vial before brewday me thinks.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Have you tasted the starter? It doesn't look like a successful starter to me either.

In that case I'd just buy more. There may have been only a tiny bit of live yeast left in the vial (if any) and it might eventually ferment out the starter but I would guess that you'd end up with some pretty unhealthy yeast.

Better yet, just get some US-05. I doubt you'd go back to WLP001.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Hmm.... looks like I might using my spare pack of US05 I think.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I just recently had the same thing, but this vial was a year past its' date. I seem to remember using WL vials up to a year past their date and still have them go like they should.

I'd definitely not use that one though.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Houston, we have a problem! That does not look like a healthy starter after 24 hours. Especially if you had it on that stir plate the whole time!

Good thing you have a back up plan!

Cheers!
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Just to reiterate the importance of a starter - I brewed a pale today and pitched 2 vials at noon at 66d (used 001) and I STILL have 0 activity. Checking my notes from previous brews using 001 and a 2L starter, I've never had lag times longer than 6 hours.