Two-Vessel Brewing?

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

Two-Vessel Brewing?

Post by backyard brewer »

I was reading about the Brutus 20 and there was a description of 2-vessel brewing. The idea is your MLT and BK/HLT are both direct fired. You mash in as normal and recirculate just the MLT with a low flame for temperature changes. At the end of the mash, you circulate the water in the BK/HLT through the mash and back to the BK/HLT, gradually increasing the gravity until you're close to your target and then you shut off the return to the MLT, draining the MLT into the BK/HLT.

It sounded pretty interesting and an space saving way to brew larger batches with larger equipment.

Anyone have any thoughs?

It seems like it would be too easy to raise the pH of the mash too high, but I guess really that shouldn't be an issue because your sparge water would be dropping in gravity I guess.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

It seems like it would be too easy to raise the pH of the mash too high, but I guess really that shouldn't be an issue because your sparge water would be dropping in gravity I guess.
Your sparge water wouldn't drop in gravity, right? This sounds a little like the Reiterated Mashing article that Chris Colby wrote for BYO a few issues back. I don't think pH would be an issue unless you started off with too much sparge water for your batch, but that's just a WAG.

Interesting idea, though...